Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MSN Messenger & Security

MSN Messenger & Security

Hello,

I'm new in security concerns, but trying to learn... I recently heard that someone can get your IP through an MSN chat. Is that true? I am really interested since I have people from online games on the list, which I don't entirely trust.

Also, I have heard from a different source that finding your IP is only possible when transferring a file. Is THAT true?

Thank you in advance!

You can get someones IP addy through any IM service if you directly connect (like when you send files).

Under normal circumstances (right now I'm assuming msn works like AIM does, I don't know the particulars on how msn works) and that theres a server you chat through which adds some security against people getting your addy, as long as you don't directly connect you should be safe.

I'm an advid gamer as well and I don't think that the majority of gamers should pose as a threat to you

Just Another Geek

Re: MSN Messenger & Security

Originally posted here by CyberNGA
    I recently heard that someone can get your IP through an MSN chat. Is that true? I am really interested since I have people from online games on the list, which I don't entirely trust.
    What do you hope to gain by knowing their IP address? Or are you worried they might know yours?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Here's my IP: 80.126.205.137

Now that was scary.. brr !!

People knowing your IP is like people knowing your home adress..
    If you need anything from them, they or some carier need to know it..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by the_JinX
    Here's my IP: 127.0.0.1

Now that was scary.. brr !!
    Warm up your harddrive and kick snort into gear.. here I come.. LOL
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

well I think knowing someone's IP will only help, if the victim doesnt hav a firewall!!

Like If I know your IP, I can harm u only if u dont hav a firewall. Zone Alarm is one of the best firwalls as a solution to this problem!!

There are some programs like the NetB.., BlackOri.., which can harm the victim. But, there are fixes available to those too.

So, untill your firewall goes down, u dont need to worry abt anything. I seriously recommend using Zone Alarm, as it is one of the best firewalls I have ever used.
    CodeNameVirus

IP Address is like the address of the computer on the internet. Well like most people dont give away their cellphone numbers to strangers, same way giving ip can sometimes be a cause of concern. Using proxy servers and by applying strict restrictions to the programs accessing the internet.

Well the most important thing here is not installing the firewall but also configuring it to work correctly giving access to the network to those programs only where it is necessary to and blocking the rest.

Yes zone alarm is a good one but i recommend using Sygate Firewall. It is a good one and i have been using it since some months now.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

hi

Using proxy servers and by applying strict restrictions to the programs accessing the internet.
    Yes, actually u can do that, connecting to a proxy server will bar people from getting ur ip. However, there are still other ways by which u can get an ip of the victim, and those methods dont hav a solution, yet. Sorry, I cant tell those methods according the rule of AO.

Peace

CodeNameVirus
    CodeNameVirus

o go on! :-(

Banned
    Oh please... don't spout that rules of AO crap. As long as you don not directly tell people to break the law, and your post has a purpose... they really don't care....

And having your IP open tot he public is not a big deal. It is no riskier security wise than not directly letting it out.

The security risk is in the machine itself. If the machine is secure... the only thing the script kiddies can do is DoS you. Boo ****in hoo.

If you are on the internet... your IP is open to the public. Using a proxy prevents sites and chats from directly seeing it.

I can NMap your ass no matter how many proxies you use. Anyone here ever scan random subnets?

Ok... I may have had a bit much to drink... will corect this later....