Linux Questions

Thread: Linux Questions

Linux Questions

Hi

I have two hhd's and have xp in one and the other has a 5gb partition for red hat and the rest is for windows to keep data and has no os installed.

The reason i had to install red hat in other hdd is because the installer of red had activates the partition of red hat and deactivates the other partition.
    When i installed the win and redhat on same hdd the win never booted. On installing it on second hdd the rest of the area was unrecognised by win and i had to activate the partition using partition magic 8 after which the area was accesible by windows.

Is there a way except the bootable floppy or cd for linux to install both win and red hat on same hdd? Does this situation arise for the other linuxes too like suse or ubuntu?

Secondly how can i multiboot linuxes. I wish to install suse soon and want to keep redhat as well. Without conflicting the bootloader originally grub for redhat how can i multiboot win, redhat and suse? Does the /boot partition needs to be made again for suse ? Is it possible to keep the three os's on the same hdd and not to split installations on different hdd's.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Since you have Red Hat and Windows on the same machine already just modify the boot.ini to access the red hat partition and use window boot to dual boot the system. Most Linux docs will direct you to use lilo or grub which use a boot partition that includes an entry for the windows partition. But winders lets you boot from images with boot.ini. Which would be the linix partition. Exactly how you do that you ask? Well if you download bootpart its easier because you can get the partion info right away from the command line. But instead of typing I'll borrow from this site.

Create dual-booting in NT/2000

restart your machine using control-alt-del (also works in Linux), remove diskette and let it boot in NT/2000

open a browser and download bootpart to the root of your drive C: and unzip it there.

go to the root of the drive C: and look for the file boot.ini, right-click on it and change properties removing the read-only check mark. Open boot.ini in Notepad and save it as boot-safe.ini

type bootpart to see a list of the partitions in your hard-drive, as shown in the example below:
    C:\>bootpart
    Boot Partition 2.20 for WinNT (c) 1995-98 G. Vollant (info@winimage.com)
    WEB : http://www.winimage.com and http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
    Add partition in the Windows NT Multi-boot loader
    Run "bootpart /?" for more information

0 : C: type=b (Win95 Fat32), size = 1407136 KB
    1 : C:* type=7 (HPFS/NTFS), size = 1741824 KB
    2 : D:* type=83 (Linux native), size = 16600 KB
    3 : D: type=5 (Extended), size = 3136392 KB
    4 : D: type=83 (Linux native), size = 3070336 KB
    5 : D: type=5 (Extended), size = 66024 KB
    6 : D: type=82 (Linux swap), size = 65992 KB

In the above example I had Windows 98 installed in the partition 0; Windows NT/2000/XP in partition 1; and Linux root in partition 4. Although partition 2 is the Linux /boot partition, it is the / (root) partition which has Lilo installed (if you installed Linux like recommended above).

At the C: prompt type bootpart 4 bootsect.lnx Linux to modify boot.ini and create the Linux boot record file.
    The 4 in the above bootpart command line corresponds to the partition 4, which in the example has LILO and the root (/) Linux partition installed. Change it accordingly to match the Linux root partition in your case.

check the changes made to boot.ini using bootpart list, as shown in the example below:
    C:\>bootpart list
    Boot Partition 2.20 for WinNT (c) 1995-98 G. Vollant (info@winimage.com)
    WEB : http://www.winimage.com and http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
    Add partition in the Windows NT Multi-boot loader
    List entry in BOOT.INI

0 : C:\bootsect.lnx="Red Hat Linux 7.0"
    1 : multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="NT Workstation"
    2 : C:\bootsect.f32="Windows 98"
    3 : multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="NT Workstation [VGA mode]" /base video /sos

By runnning "bootpart REMOVE <number>"
    where number is an entry number, you can remove the entry from C:\BOOT.INI

When you reboot your machine you will see in the NT/2000 boot dialog an entry to boot in Linux. When all is working, be sure to change the properties of boot.ini to read-only.
    NOTE: You can also use bootpart to add other operating systems to the boot.ini file. In the above example the following line would add Windows 98 to boot.ini:

Knowing how boot.ini works is critical in windows. It can get you out of all sorts of trouble. This article is dated but the concept is the same, you add an entry to the boot menu that points exactly to the linux kernal loader which is one of the bootloaders for linux.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

hi MysteryMan

I had faced a problem like u, I also had two 2 hard-disks and with one OS - Windows XP(a blunder in the real world, lol). Now, when I tried installing Red Hat 9 on the same Hard-Disk, the result was My Windows wasnt been recognised anymore. And when i tried re-installing XP over Red Hat, my linux wasnt been recognised.

Believe me, I formatted my hard-disk 9 times on a single day!!! lol!!

So, one solution was obviously, using two different Hard-Disks, but I didnt preferred that coz I want my Data Disk(my second hard-disk) to be safe and secure.

The reason for the above chaos was Windows XP's boot loader usually gets pissed when it sees a more powerful boot loader than itself. So, the Window's MBR was responsible for that!! However, I still dont why didnt the Red Hat 9, recognised XP, when I installed XP over Linux!!!

The most obvious way left was to use Third-Party Boot Floppy, which would act as boot agent for your linux. In that way, everything works fine.

However, I recently installed Suse Linux 10.0, and it have made a believer out of me on Linux.
    It virtually solved every problem of mine. Not only it overwrited my RED HAT 9(which actually, I wanted, I dun know abt ur objective!!), it solved my old problem of third party boot disk.

Suse had a GRUB loader, which worked very much fine with my Windows XP and has a NTFS, FAT32 file reader(I dun remember the exact name of the service) by which you can read the windows partitions, so u dont need to separately copy data for linux partitions!!

The bottom line of all the above is, if u install SUSE LINUX 10.0, I know many of your problems will also solve, especially, working of both SUSE LINUX and Windows XP from the same hard-disk!!!

You can also try using VMware Player, its a good software for workin with the Virtual Machines!! I use Ubuntu Linux using that(as a security measure told to me in one of my previous threads!!). VMware is basically a software that works on Windows XP and thru that software u can work on Linux. But for that u'll need a .vmx file of the OS, u want to work on. Some of them are available like Ubuntu on the site of the VMware only. here's the download link VMware Player

However if u dont get the .vmx file, there's a solution to that too. If u have with the .iso file of the OS. Then u can use, VMware Workstation(available on the same site) to convert the .iso to .vmx!!! U can also use the Browser Appliance available over there.

Peace
    CodeNameVirus

Hi RoadClosed

For Linux, you must install lilo at the beginning of the Linux partition (as is the case with the OS/2 boot manager) and then add the Linux partition with BootPart
    Well in my case the bootloader is grub and i do not wish to reinstall redhat too.

Any ways through grub?

Re: Linux Questions

Originally posted here by Mystery Man
    Hi

I have two hhd's and have xp in one and the other has a 5gb partition for red hat and the rest is for windows to keep data and has no os installed.

The reason i had to install red hat in other hdd is because the installer of red had activates the partition of red hat and deactivates the other partition.
    When i installed the win and redhat on same hdd the win never booted. On installing it on second hdd the rest of the area was unrecognised by win and i had to activate the partition using partition magic 8 after which the area was accesible by windows.

Is there a way except the bootable floppy or cd for linux to install both win and red hat on same hdd? Does this situation arise for the other linuxes too like suse or ubuntu?

Secondly how can i multiboot linuxes. I wish to install suse soon and want to keep redhat as well. Without conflicting the bootloader originally grub for redhat how can i multiboot win, redhat and suse? Does the /boot partition needs to be made again for suse ? Is it possible to keep the three os's on the same hdd and not to split installations on different hdd's.
    Most linux distros are set up to dual (or more) boot. They will install Grub or Lilo as a bootloader to do that. Windows is the one that won't play nice if it isn't installed first. So install it first.
    It's best to do your partitioning first, if you can. I've found it best to leave the space for windows as unpartitioned space. If you want a gui partitioner, get the current Ubuntu live cd. You can run Gparted from the desktop from that. But cfdisk or other command line partitioners from other linux disks really aren't that difficult.
    If you want a partition for data that's readable by both win and linux, format it FAT32.

Well in my case the bootloader is grub and i do not wish to reinstall redhat too.

Any ways through grub?
    GRUB will quite happily boot Windows. You may need to edit grub.conf though, so it looks something like this...

Code:

default 1
    timeout 10

title=Windows XP
    rootnoverify (hd0,0)
    chainloader +1

title=Gentoo Linux
    root (hd0,1) kernel /kernel-2.6.11-gentoo-r5 root=/dev/hda4

You shouldn't need to change the existing stuff, just add a section for Windows.

I've never dual-booted two Linux distros, and to be honest can't imagine why you would want to once you've picked your favourite. In any case, I suspect that you would keep the one common /boot partition and just use different names for the kernels. Not entirely certain though.