was I being hacked?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: was I being hacked?

was I being hacked?

Hey guys,

The other night I was online and for some odd reason, my curser on my screen kept pulling to the upper left corner. The only way I could get it to go down was to use the thumb mouse build within my laptop's keyboard. Even then it was like I was struggling against a current or something.

BTW, I was using my laptop and I usually use the touch pad.

You got a bad touchpad. Disable it in the bios and use a mouse. HTH.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

It could have been a number of things, did it only happen the other night or has it happened before/since?
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Howdy.

I'd be guessing that the TouchPad is feeling a little ill. Maybe do as Brokencrow has suggested.
    just a thought though, were you playing music etc.?. as i've experienced similar situation it turned out that the vibration's were causing the internal mouse to move.
    Witch was resulting in the curson moving around the screen as though it was obessed from a sinister happening .

cheers
    front2back

OK, just a few comments:

1. If I am a malicious hacker, I am not going to advertise my presence?
    2. If I am just pulling your chain, I would be a bit more random/interactive than a movement to the top left corner?

It does sound a bit like a hardware/driver issue to me. I would try a serial/PS/2/USB mouse and see if it happens again.

You might like to see if you have any BIOS updates outstanding?

Also just boot into safe mode and run your AV and anti-malware on a full scan, just to give you peace of mind. I honestly don't think that it is a hacking attempt though.

Incidentally, can you replicate the problem when your laptop is offline?

Thanks guys. It only happened that one night. In fact, I should go back and check. When I use it at work, I usually pull out a mouse.

I was playing an mpeg while this happened.

Re: was I being hacked?

Originally posted here by warriorfan808
    Hey guys,

The other night I was online and for some odd reason, my curser on my screen kept pulling to the upper left corner. The only way I could get it to go down was to use the thumb mouse build within my laptop's keyboard. Even then it was like I was struggling against a current or something.

BTW, I was using my laptop and I usually use the touch pad.
    Lol, sounds like the mouse touch pad is worn out. Had the same thing happen with a regular optical mouse and an older ball mouse, had to clean them, not sure what the fix for this would be. Maybe check and see if any dirt is causing this to move by itself? Could be a mouse driver problem too.

It's very likely a touchpad issue. Compaq had a service bulletin on several models about 14-16 months ago for this very problem (I had 5 in my office alone).

Funny thing is, it doesn't happen to me when I'm at work, but it does when I bring my laptop home with me.

...hardware issues are typically intermittent. A friend had the same problem on her Inspiron last year. It had me perplexed for a time, and was behaving just as you describe. Sometimes the touchpad worked fine, then would go bonkers after 15-20 minutes. It would be well-behaved with a mouse on the system for a time. Finally I disabled the touchpad in the bios, attached a mouse: problem solved. You try disabling the touchpad yet?
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers