Exchange Server?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exchange Server?

Exchange Server?

I was told to look into Exchange Server, but I don't know much about it. I do know that it will probably cost a lot of money. Does anyone know of something else that is comprable and more economically feasable?

Hi

In my opinion, open-xchange[1] is a fairly good alternative to
    Microsoft's Exchange server. I remember that there were a few
    issues, but cannot recall - in the end, we have taken Microsoft's
    product (since we are in the Microsoft Partner program[2] - might
    be an option for your company?)

Good luck

Cheers

[1] http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/
    [2] http://partner.microsoft.com
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.
    (Abraham Maslow, Psychologist, 1908-70)

Thanks, I'll download it and give it a go. Do you know if there's a six month evaluation version of Exchange Server? I had a disk for Server 2003 that I used for a while before deciding to convert.

Also, do they have books to show you how to configure that version of Exchange?

How many user do you have and what do they want to do?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I know nothing about Exchange Server. I was just told that they wanted to share email and possible create an intranet.

Looking at 30-40 users

If they don't want to share calendars and tasks and crap then there isn't a reason to spend money on exhcange unless they want to do the above or integrate office. I asked how many users because if you are under 50 you can get Small Business Server with Exchange, domain security,web server etc. for a decent price of what an enterprise based linux server will run.

Its a pretty kick ass deal for small windows based offices.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

MS has really come down on pricing, I almost bought it the other day for the heck of it.

Here is a resource, you will have to note the pros and cons compared to your environment.

http://www.smallbizserver.net/
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    If they don't want to share calendars and tasks and crap then there isn't a reason to spend money on exhcange unless they want to do the above or integrate office. I asked how many users because if you are under 50 you can get Small Business Server with Exchange, domain security,web server etc. for a decent price of what an enterprise based linux server will run.

Its a pretty kick ass deal for small windows based offices.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...s/default.mspx

MS has really come down on pricing, I almost bought it the other day for the heck of it.

Here is a resource, you will have to note the pros and cons compared to your environment.

http://www.smallbizserver.net/

The problem I came across with small business server is the CALS are so damn expensive in comparison to Server 2003. I was going to have it set as my main domain server, but the cost for CALS per user; per device or per server was just too high. It was much cheaper for me to get Server2003. I do want to use Exchange though and have been looking into SBS. Now that I have a domian controller, I could add SBS on the network and only purchase CALs for the workstations actually using it's services.

AOs Resident Troll
    The problem I came across with small business server is the CALS are so damn expensive in comparison to Server 2003. I was going to have it set as my main domain server, but the cost for CALS per user; per device or per server was just too high. It was much cheaper for me to get Server2003. I do want to use Exchange though and have been looking into SBS. Now that I have a domian controller, I could add SBS on the network and only purchase CALs for the workstations actually using it's services.
    You only use one licensing model...

You do not license per user, AND per device and per server.

users can be devices.devices can be servers and vice versa.........the SBS just looks at concurrent connections for licensing....you can have 200 users...only licensed for 20...as long as they dont all connect at the same time.....only 20 users\devices\servers will be able to connect

and if you add another server...it is either a user or device on your network...and its resources as a basic server are licensed under the SBS...unless you add an application to that extra server...then you will need licensing for the app.....

MS is very good at answering licensing questions..just layout what you want to do...and they will tell you what you need to buy.

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Oh no, I knew that. I meant that each of the different licensing options were still too expensive in comparison to just Server 2003. I"m currently running the per server model which works just fine for us, we only have one server and we never have more than 30 people connected to the server at once.

Just cost in comparison to Server 2003. I might get a SBS now though and set it up with a small per server set up.

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    Have you tried MDaemon, it will fullfill your requirment. Has the feature of Antivirus and spam controlling in it.

website is www.altn.com

Its intallation, configuration is quite easy n i think wouldn't be much difficul for anyone to configure.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!