NIC installation

Thread: NIC installation

NIC installation

Hi all

My problem is that my computer sys does not support NIC at all.

Whenever I try to install NIc my system either hang or show some eror messagg like 0*0000000.

I have tried to install NIc on all of 4 pic slots but no one is working,This problem is occur only with NIc ,other cards like sound card,graphics card work fine on all the PCI slots.

First of all I thought that this problem is due to OS,but I was wrong because many of times I format my system and installed fresh OS(XP) and problem is continue.

When I try to install NIC on linux (RED HAT) the OS detect my NIc card but when I try to use it(connecting to the internet) the linux system also hang up.

I also thought that problem is with NIC card,but this time I was again wrong because when I do same thing(installation) with fresh new NIC the problem continue.

I am using Intel 810E chipset motherboard with INTEX RTL 8139D NIC card

Any type of sugesttion in this regard will be helpful for me

"With Best Regard"

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Do you get the error message when you boot up after the NIC installation? Or do you get the error message while trying to install the driver?

Copy the error message on a peice of paper and go to support.microsoft.com and check what it means there. If you have no luck with microsoft's site then I suggest searching google... The error message is key to most software related problems...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Welcome to AO,
    I began attempting to look up some information about your motherboard and I'm unable to do so since you provided us with the chipset model not the motherboard itself, try looking at your motherboards manual for the manufacturer and model for your motherboard.

So, here's what I understand you have done to diagnose the problem:
    1.) Changed the PCI slot location
    2.) Fresh install of RH linux
    3.) Tried with a DIFFERENT Network Interface Card (NIC)

Did you install the drivers for that NIC?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

That is a Realtek card, try the drivers from here:

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/...&Software=True

I had a problem similar to yours once. The problem was that the NIC card's software needed to be installed before inserting the NIC into
    the slot. So I had to uninstall the software then remove the NIC. After that I reinstalled the drivers for the
    NIC, and then inserted the NIC card and it worked. I had a cheap Airlink NIC.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Using the Add Hardware Wizard in Control Panel to install the driver's for NIC's usually resolves a lot of issue's as well...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

If not tried already,
    Try different brands of NICs.

Not uncommon for mobos/systems to be temperamental about brands/models/compatibility when dealing with NICs. Some combinations, will flat out not work together.

I too have had to install the software BEFORE the nic card on occasion. They usually have some kind of software that runs after the computer is rebooted that detects the nic. At least in windows. ESPECIALLY OLDER DELL MODELS. Also make sure you are using the latest stable release of Red Hat. If it's a newer card it just might not be supported with your distro. Some modern OS's have an opton to load drivers at install that can overcome this IF a driver is available.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.