Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possible problem with Serial hard drive?

Possible problem with Serial hard drive?

I recently purchased a new motherboard with only one IDE connector. So I purchased a Hard drive that uses a Serial connection. But I also bought a DVD burner but that uses an IDE connector. So I was wondering if I am going to have a problem having my system boot up from the Serial Hard Drive since the DVD drive is hooked up to the IDE connector. Since I have never used a serial hdd I dont know how the system is going to react. I was thinking that it might think the DVD drive is the harddrive and wont let me do anything like installing the OS. Is that the case? I hope some of you have experience with this, because I need to know.

MOBO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813121288

Howdy.

I;m guessing that you are using 1 serial cable, going to the hard drive, and connecting to the DVD drive.?.
    If so then Just set the hard drive jumper pin to Master and set the DVD drive to Slave.

cheers
    front2back

I am using one serial cable from the hdd to the mobo, and one ide cable going from the dvd drive to the mobo, to the ide connector.
    Yeah, but the problem with serial hard drives is from what I have read, you don't need to arrange the pins?

Ok well assuming that you have both your hard drive and dvd connected correctly and they are being recognized in post and you are installing windows xp then..

Boot off the cd and at the blue screen along the bottom it will ask you to press f6 if you need to install any additional drivers. If you do press f6 later on it will ask for them on a floppy disk. Your motherboard may have come with a floppy but in most cases you will need to make one from the driver cd the motherboar came with.

Originally posted here by oofki
    Ok well assuming that you have both your hard drive and dvd connected correctly and they are being recognized in post and you are installing windows xp then..

Boot off the cd and at the blue screen along the bottom it will ask you to press f6 if you need to install any additional drivers. If you do press f6 later on it will ask for them on a floppy disk. Your motherboard may have come with a floppy but in most cases you will need to make one from the driver cd the motherboar came with.
    I'm going to have to install additional drivers? That really sucks. Should I set the DVD drive as master? Since it's the only optical drive in the system.

Howdy

You might find This Site of some relevance.

cheers
    front2back

Originally posted here by .:front2back:.
    Howdy

You might find This Site of some relevance.

cheers
    front2back
    THanks. But that just shows how to install it. I need to know if my system is going to recognize it as the primary hard drive, because it is. I need to install the OS on it with it not having any conflicts with the DVD drive connected to the IDE connector. :P

AOs Resident Troll
    Why dont you give it a try and see..

I am sure the bios is set to poll the serial devices ...and the IDEs

Stick the XP cd in...and see if it finds the harddrive...and yes you may need an additional driver...for the serial connection....no big deal

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    Why dont you give it a try and see..

I am sure the bios is set to poll the serial devices ...and the IDEs

Stick the XP cd in...and see if it finds the harddrive...and yes you may need an additional driver...for the serial connection....no big deal

MLF
    Your right, I should. But I dont get the parts till Wendsday. I probably wont have a problem since supposedly Serial HDD are easier to set up and everything else. But if anyone else has this type of set up, you can tell me what I should expect.

Hmmm,

It should not be a problem. Your MoBo has:

1 x IDE drive connection (that will support 2 devices on one cable, i.e. master & slave)

4 x SATA connections (for your hard drives)

Your BIOS should have no trouble in detecting the hard drives, but you may need a driver installation from a floppy/cd/dvd. I would doubt this though, as I would expect that a MoBo that is obviously ONLY intended to use SATA drives would recognise them.

You need to check the MoBo manual.

EDIT: As this is a new board, it should work out of the box, so to speak, and recognise the SATA as the C:\ and try to boot from it.