Thread: processor overheating

processor overheating

I wasent sure where to post this so im putting it here. Ive been having a problem with my cpu overheating my harware monitor is saying that its running at 150 f I had been having problems with my processor fan recently so today i went out and bought a cool master cpu fan and im still having the same problem. Any idea what i can do about this?

********** |ceWriterguy
    should've been in hardware, but this is close enough Welcome to AO btw.

Suggest a couple of things - first, get some Arctic Silver thermal compound. Remove then replace the heat sink from your cpu using a liberal amount of it. Second, the new fan is a good idea, but remember that air flow through the entire box is key - I'd add in a couple fans one in front sucking air in, one in back blowing air out on the case. Please also make sure you've got the box somewhere it can breathe - tight in spaces or under a carelessly tossed coat, pile of books, or stack of linens is never good. (I've seen all these - and wished I could thwap the customer in addition to educating them about it).

Luck to ya!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Yes, firstly I will move this into the hardware forum, as that is where it belongs.

Now,

1. You need good airflow, so get cable ties and tape and try to make your box as tidy as you can.
    2. You need to get rid of the stale hot air inside, so get an exhaust fan. This is a flat device that fits into an expansion slot space at the back of the box and shifts 40~60 cfm.
    3. Use good thermal paste, NOT the white gunk that tends to come in the box. Antec or Arctic Silver are about twenty times more efficient. Coolermaster make a modern compound that is even more efficient, but I am not sure if it is on the market yet.
    4. Make sure that your heatsink and CPU assembly is rated for the processor that you have.
    5. You need a good connection between your cooling assembly and CPU, so don't use too much compound, just follow the instructions carefully.
    6. Make sure that air is getting IN as well as out. A case side fan can bring cool air in as can front fans.

Some ideas to be going on with

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Before you put the thermal paste on, be sure to take the white gunk off your processor...

Simply dip a Q-tip in some Isopropyl (Sp?) alcohol and gently rub it off, though in my experience I've had to nearly scrub it off ... Be sure to be in a well ventilated area!!
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

when using thermal paste....a little goes a long ways

JOOI what CPU do you have?

150 f is only 65 c which although it is pushing it a little, it wouldn't be too hot for some of the newer, high end, cpu's.

Have you had any preformance problems with your system, sudden shutting down or "blue screens" etc?

The Duck

You are quite right that it can be a problem to get rid of, but nothing like as bad as those "thermal patches" Acetone (nail varnish remover) can also be useful.

And very good advice: ONLY USE SOLVENTS IN A WELL VENTILATED SPACE

patrande1

Spot on, too much and it doesn't work properly. Worse still, if you use silver compond it is highly electrically conductive, so if it leaks out onto the MoBo you are in big trouble! The silver compound is actually being replaced by a more thermally efficient and far less electrically conductive material.........I have just had some advisories but no samples as yet.

Nokia

Good question. What CPU are we talking, what case & MoBo as well? I agree that 65C seems on the high side, I would personally not like to see much above 50. But, Professor Teile old chap,
    you have not told us how long the machine was powered up; and whether this was an idle or load reading?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    That's what I was talking about nihil, I spent atleast 10 minutes violently scrubbing the thermal patch gunk off my processor... Good thing processor's are pretty resilient peices of hardware ...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Good thing processor's are pretty resilient peices of hardware
    Lol, I gave a processor and a heatsink along with some acetone to one of my trainees a while ago to "clean", he only went to the sink and started scrubbing it with a nail brush, he came back and the was about three gold pins still attached to the bloody thing!

He tried to tell me it was like that when I gave it to him and I must have done it when I took it out!

He wasnt a trainee for long..