Email footnote solution required
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email footnote solution required

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar

Email footnote solution required

Hi gals/Guys

Our company has annonuced a new policy according to that all our outgoing emails should have Disclaimer in the email. What we came up was simply include the signature in all the email accounts. Now the problem is few of our users include myself do correspondence from back home and sometime directly from the webmail. What we are looking for is a solution that the disclaimer should be automatically get attached to all the emails leaving our domain. The ISP whose email service we are using said thats not possible may be they don't know about such technique (thats why said we don't have such facility although the ISP is one of the leading ISP's here rather among top 3).

Anyways what are the ways to implement this policy?
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

LOL @ those Disclaimers..
    http://www.goldmark.org/jeff/stupid-disclaimers/

But to be somewhat usefull.. this is from the sendmail FAQ
    How do I add a footer/signature to all (outgoing) e-mails?

This is quite complicated. At first sight it might be simple: just "cat" some text (taken from a file or whatever) to the end of an e-mail passing through sendmail. However, there is a big problem: what is about structured e-mails, i.e. MIME e-mails? These can be arbitrarily complex and just "cat"ting a footer to the end of the body will break the MIME structure. Hence, there is no easy solution to this problem!

If you know enough about MIME and some C programming, then take a look at sendmail 8.11 and the libmilter/README. It now offers the functionality to achieve this goal. However, it is unsupported by me and sendmail.org! Please don't ask us questions about libmilter (however, we will fix bugs!)
    The only usefull way in sendmail seems to be: http://www.mimedefang.org/
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Hey Hey,

If you get your mail services from an outside company, it may be difficult for them to add a disclaimer line, as most software I've seen is an all or nothing sort of deal, you can't pick which accounts get it....

Usually there are two options...

Get your own mail server...

or

Just add the disclaimer to the signature line.... It's not perfect but it works... just might be tedious if you have a lot of employees.

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

Hi FanacooL,

I am afraid I don't quite see your problem.

What are you using as an e-mail client and where does it reside, locally or on the mail provider's machine?

You say that you have solved the problem in the office by adding the disclaimer to the signature. Why are your remote users not able to do the same, are they using different software?

Do your users connect directly to the mail provider or through a server in the office.

I am a little confused at the moment as I cannot quite visualise the setup.

HTRegz nailed it for you - you only have two choices with your setup. We had to do the very same thing with our email a while back, but fortuntely we run our own mail server and I was able to find a Mail Transfer Agent that worked with my email server package - everytime an outbound message is received, the MTA takes the message and adds a standard text or HTML footer to the message then sends it out....
    - Maverick

Let me first clarify things here: -

We are using Email services of an ISP, so the mail server is at there end....... And we are using MDaemon at our end to collect emails.

Now the problem is if we would add it as Signature it will appear at the end of the message not at the end of email where a disclaimer should be.......

What if i add a stationary in outlook and put the Disclaimer in it.

HTRegz

Get our own Mail server well ! right now there is no possibility but hopefully in future we will get our own.

Nihil

Well at users end we are using Microsoft Outlook 2003/2000 few few using Outlook Express :-). On our main server i have already written that we are using MDaemon 8.0. We have not added it in the signature its just an idea we came upon...... Well if we somehow put it at users desktop/Laptop problem well get solved. As for remote users currently i think i am the only one who uses Webmail (mail directly from web account), so to obey company policy i will have to quit using webmail and prefer email client.

Users having desktop retrieve there emails through MDaemon and those having laptop from the ISP mail server.
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!

That stationary thing worked... My brain has started working from the day i have been interacting with you guys :-) ....

There is something else relating to this email issue..... I would like to know pros and cons of setting up our own email server, what are basic requirments and other things needed or should be consider for setting it up. Requirments in terms of hardware, software and man power :-)

We are paying a good price to the ISP, and the service we are getting from them is not what they have commited to us.

We face email issues on daily basis, accounts get locked, email lost & too much spam and viruses. I remember when i joined the company we used to receive more than 1000 spam and virus emails so most of the bandwidth wasted in downloading these junks. Sometime these issues last for more than 24hrs so no communication for 24hrs in all of the branches really impact our business.

I just saw one thing when i reply or forward a new message that disclaimer i added as stationary is not coming any solution for it...

Hi, FanacooL yes, I understand, the stationery method is what we use with Lotus Notes/Domino.

As for your question, If you reply to an e-mail you will have to add the disclaimer to your message as you are using their stationery. Otherwise you will have to copy their e-mail into a new one of your own.

If you just forward something, you do not need a disclaimer, as it is not legally the responsibility of you or your company. It is the responsibility of the originator.

But don't you think its a bit annoying for users to copy the disclaimer when replying.... I mean for me and other few staff its ok but there are users who just know how hardly manage to operate there system.....

Also what if someone is in a hurry and forgot to paste it.....

That is true, and I am afraid that I do not know enough about your system to suggest an elegant solution.

A "quick and dirty" solution might be to add something to their signature such as:

"The standard disclaimer of XYZ Inc. applies to this message"

Just make sure that you have the disclaimer posted on your corporate website, just like your privacy policy?

Hey, I don't know anything about Pakistani Law what have you seen other companies do?