SLI vs CrossFire
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLI vs CrossFire

SLI vs CrossFire

I have been looking into running dual vid cards for a while now. I have prefered ATI over NVIDIA for the most part in my previous vid card purchases. When i look into the differences between the SLI and CrossFire technologies it really makes no sense to me because i just don't understand the technical jargon. What i was wondering was if someone here could explain to me in lay-man's terms the pros and cons of CrossFire vs SLI, even if it is only your opinion i would still like to hear it, but please be sure to differentiate between yor opinions and facts.

Forever Lurking
    Da Jew
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    you do understand the basics though ?

that you add TWO GPX cards to your system fitting them into neighbouring PCI slots and joined at the top with a bridging link
    one card is responsible for the bottom 40% of the screen, where the vast majority of all the action happens, and the second one renders the remaining 60% ..........

as for the details, they are just that, details, as you have already set out your preference for ATI, then any discourse is basically pointless, as you are already 90% ready to purchase ATI comewhat may .........

most technology today, is bought on the basis of personal preference, whether it is justified or not.
    this is not necessarily a bad thing, as products are very similar in capability and price.

base your purchase on what you can get hold of easiest
    ie : if your local store stocks Nvidia, then get Nvidia
    if you can source ATI easiest ...............................and so on

which ever brand you do finally buy, use it and enjoy it, as there is not much in this world worse than those who case perfection for perfections sake

Pax
    55 - I'm fiftyfeckinfive and STILL no wiser,
    OLDER yes
    Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

you do understand the basics though ?
    Fortunatly i do 8-). What i was wondering was the physical aspects of the two. For instance, the differnt way that an AMD proc is wired vs an intel proc. The amd architecture allows it to run faster, but you also run hotter. I was just wondering if the different ways that the two companies went about creating thier dual vid card technology gave clear cut pros and cons for each side.
    \"He who shall introduce into public affairs the principles of primitive Christianity will change the face of the world.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I would still choose Nvidia over ATI hands down... Especially since the new nvidia 7900 cards are around the corner... Besides the Unreal Engine has always run better on Nvidia, and that's the engine most games are going to use in the future... And don't forget they are about to release the Unreal Engine 3.0... Or something like that... the Nvidia cards (especially the 7900's) will most likely be able to run it better...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Especially since the new nvidia 7900 cards are around the corner...
    lets not forget the X1900 series from ATI which is also just around the corner. Aren't these two carsd basically the same tier from the two different companies? or is the 7900 a 'class' higher.
    Benjamin Franklin

Well, from a diffenent slant:

I will not buy another ATI card until they sort out their crappy drivers and management software............hell's teeth, what's the point of buying a Ferrari with four wheel clamps already fitted

And ATI have a bad reputation over several years in this area

They need to get their business and marketing model sorted IMO. Advertising only works on kiddies for so long.

Nihil: So basically ATI is more pizazz than content at the moment where nvidia is tried and tested?
    Benjamin Franklin

Personaly I would just take the money and buy one very good gfx card. Its been shown that the Overhead of SLi means that two generation A cards are outperformed by a single generation B card (as a general rule, exceptions probably exist).
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Look at the history of the benchmark testing... Nvidia has out performed ATI for quite some time now, except in Counter Strike... But all the other good games play best on Nvidia, especially those run by the Unreal engines. That means Doom 3 and Quake 4 just to name a few... UT2007 will run best on Nvidia as well... And that game is going to be awesome, your not going to wanna miss out on that one, trust me .
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Well my main game of addiction is FInal Fantasy online, any idead what graphics engine that uses, or where i could look to find out myself?
    Benjamin Franklin