Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RAM Related Issues

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Oh boy, running intensive applicatons on ME is a big NO NO!

Of course SDRAM won't be hard to find, it's not that old... Even SIMM's can still be found out places like tigerdirect...

Now, about your freezing problem... It's either bad RAM or the bad windows ME OS... Both can freeze the same way ... I'm guessing it's the OS...

To go over what everyone else has basically said:

1. Defrag
    2. Disk Cleanup (should be in windows 9x, been forever since I used 9x...)
    3. Keep running programs and tasks at a minimum
    4 Throw another stick of ram in there (there are programs out there that can tell you your motherboards RAM specifications, many are boot disks so it doesn't matter what OS you got)

If all else fails, downgrading to 98SE is the best option... If I were you I would just forget the extra stick of ram and just downgrade... Or do both...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Alright. Trying to wrap my brains around all the info you guys provided. I appreciate all the help. I think I'll attempt the stick upgrade first (provided the specs on the motherboard indicate I can do so). If that fails, I'll downgrade to 98SE. I'm hoping upgrading the RAM to 256 will suffice but, if need be, 98SE is a feasible option.
    As for the speed of the PIII, I'm not sure. I'm not sitting at the computer anymore. I should be heading back to the parental unit's casa in a few days. I can update the specs for you guys then.

A lot of crashes occure during swap file operations (pageing in 9x)
    Und3ertak3r, that's what I got from some researching I did. This RAM optimizer program I'm using is supposed to manipulate file operations releasing RAM that is no longer used. Again, I don't like using a RAM optimizing program as a solution because I simply don't think messing with RAM via third party programs is a smart way to go. I really don't know what % of RAM is used by the computer for basic I/O, etc. so I don't know what to set the % to when it frees up RAM.

As for her AV, I got rid of Norton (it was killing the cpu) and loaded up Kaspersky on her machine instead.(btw I used the MS Win ME disc to re-install the OS after the formats.)
    I'm starting to look at some RAM stick pricing as I speak so, give me a couple days and I'll see what turns up. I don't think I can buy the stick just yet but, I can update the specs for you guys and do some checking myself to see what the processesor speed is and the motherboard's specs.
    Again, thanks for all the help.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Oh boy, running intensive applicatons on ME is a big NO NO!
    Err, I think that his Mom is only cataloguing digital camera images? An ME box with 384~512 will handle that. Otherwise for "heavy duty" intensive apps you should look at more memory and Foxy~ 's suggestion of Win 2000.

In fact Foxy~ has the better solution as Win 2000 is closer to XP and that which will come after?

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Ah, thanks for the clarification, I kinda just skimmed through the posts...

But running ANYTHING on ME is a big no no lol...

I have an ME box just for amusement .
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

OK folks, here it is:

http://configurator.memorystock.com/...&modelid=15442

The machine has a 1.0GHz PIII processor and two memory slots. It supports 512Mb.

It uses PC800 RDRAM (RIMMS), which means that you need to use MATCHED PAIRS of memory sticks, so it currently has 2 x 64Mb, and is full.

RDRAM or "RAMBUS" is very expensive. My Dell Dimension has 4 slots and came with 2 x 128 Mb and two "continuity strips". I replaced the continuity strips with 2 x 256Mb that I picked up second hand for about $90.

You should certainly be able to sell the 2 x 64 strips, as RDRAM does have quite a good second hand value. Dell and others always shipped with insufficient memory back then.

Possible solutions:

1. Set memory manager to recover 32Mb when free memory is 12Mb and only run one application at a time. When you are using the machine keep minimising, then maximising the application, as that forces the RAM to be released.

2. Get 2 x 256Mb memory strips (preferably second user)

3. Change the operating system.

Good luck

Frustrated Mad Scientist
    Hmm you're a bit unlucky that it is running RDRAM.

If you plan on running 98se or 2000 256 is plenty. I ran a P3 with W2000 with 256 for 2-3 years it was perfectly fast enough. If you plan on running more than 256 don't use 98. It can go a bit flakey with big memory sizes.

The instabilities need to be looked into. If you've been reformatting properly and reinstalling the OS clean then even ME should run ok for a while (piece of **** that it is). Pop the case and get a look at who made the HD. Get the test tools from the relevent manufacturer and test teh drive. If may be on it's way out if you are getting a random failures. Get a CDRW if you don't have one and back up all those pictures.

Random failures can also come from faulty memory, hard to test though, especially with RDRAM where you need matched pairs. Also motherboard failures can cause stange problems, pop the case again and check the tops of the capaciters on the motherboard. Look closely for 'rusting' or other coloured blooms on the caps. If you see that, sorry new mobo and with a Dell that really means a new machine, though you could build one from Ebay parts resuing much of what you have.

Sooo

Check mobo
    Check HD
    Get 256Mb Ram if possible
    Change to 98 or preferrably 2000
    Gather security tools and install before going online
    Go online and update

6 years ain't bad for a PC, so start to plan for a replacement. It may last years or it might go ping next week so hope for the best and plan for the worst.

Here is another US memory supplier:

http://www.edgetechcorp.com/store/Pr...ion/XPS-B1000/

Remember, when they say 128Mb, that is the capacity of the strip, so you get 256Mb, as they only sell them in pairs. The prices are always for a pair or "kit" as they are sometimes called.

The "native" OSes are Win98, NT4.0 and Win 2000, so you could change the OS without any possible conflict with your hardware build. You will notice that ME is not mentioned and that might be part of your problem? It does suffer from memory keaks and is a resource hog at the best of times, and was not shipped with this configuration.

Whatever you do, if you decide to change the OS to Win 2000 make sure that you have the drivers for your mom's camera, printer and any other peripherals.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Man you guys did alot of research for me! Talked to mother dearest today (she's away on vacation) and she got all excited when I said I was working on her PC to make it quicker. Poor mom just wants the thing to work. lol. But, anyways, I seriously appreciate all the help from everyone.
    Nihil, is the RAM stick on the top of that website the one I should get? The 256MB PC-800 Rambus RIMM? The $181.35 one? Money is not a problem, just making sure I get the right stick. Also, I'm assuming I'm buying two sticks? Then removing the old one and installing two new ones? (The hardware aspect of computers is obviously not my forte so pardon any ignorance on my behalf). Again, way to go on finding out all the info on the XPS B1000 for me.
    You are right, it's a 1GHz Processor, and 128MB RDRAM. This is all factory install BUT, believe it or not, this thing did actually come pre-installed with Windows ME. I'm checking the Packing Slip that came with the original system. And *poof* there it is, Item # 420-8050 Windows Millennium (ME), Factory Install. And yes, it actually came from Dell. The date of the slip is December, 2000.
    Ok, now from the guide that came with the original system:
    You can increase your system's memory to a maximum of 512 megabytes (MB) by installing combinations of 2.5-volt (V) 128- and 256-MB PC600, PC700, or PC800 Rambus in-line memory modules (RIMMs) in the RIMM sockets on the system board. You must install a continuity module in any unused memory socket.
    Believe it or not, the guide was still in it's original shrink wrap. LOL. Anyways, I hope this helps you guys gain a better idea of her setup. I can't thank you guys enough for the help.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Hi there ShagDevil

Thank you for the kind words and appreciation. The pages I pointed you to should have the precise memory for your Mom's PC...............it comes in 64Mb, 128Mb and 256Mb strips, but you can only get them in pairs, so what they say is a half of what you get

This machine is only 5 years old...................if your Mom paid what I suspect for that box, I can well understand her reluctance to belly up and get a new one.

I did a bit more reasearch, and found that as new they cost £3,136 over here. That has to be $2,500 with you?

Yes, although Millenium Edition was not around at the time the machine came out, it could be ordered pretty soon afterwards.....................certainly by December 2000

Now, there is a slight deviation here..............it is possible that you might have a box with a single 128Mb strip and a continuity strip. If this is the case it will be a Samsung PC700 strip. If you could get one of those, it should be real cheap Anyone who has upgraded will have bought PC800 in matched pairs, so this stuff would be pretty useless?

You need to pop the case and take a look inside. If it is a continuity strip, it will be in the second slot and will be much thinner and without the heatsink surrounding casing.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Whoa, a 200 dollar upgrade for ram... And what if it's not the RAM, It could be faulty RAM slots on the motherboard or HDD, you won't know until after your buy the 200 dollar RAM...

In all honesty, it would probably be best to buy a new computer, and you can get a good low end computer (high end compared to your mother's current computer) for cheap...

Like this one:
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...SYXS-DB-988868

And with those spec's it would be the last computer your mother would ever need for what she does, and it comes with XP.... She can't really complain, 6 years is awesome...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools