Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: RAM Related Issues

Hi TheDuck ......that is the $64,000 question.

Whoa, a 200 dollar upgrade for ram... And what if it's not the RAM, It could be faulty RAM slots on the motherboard or HDD, you won't know until after your buy the 200 dollar RAM...
    The situation, as I see it, is that Mom has spent maybe $2,500 on this thing, so a RAM upgrade would only be 10% of the purchase price?

It is an industrial strength box, so you can expect it to have a life of 10 years or more. Given that it is not being used a lot, and obviously kept in a nice indoor domestic home environment, it will probably last forever. OK on the shop floor in an engineering works we would be looking at 18~24 months

Why should the RAM slots become faulty?................no upgrading as yet?............if it were the MoBo, why no other strang happenings?........same with the HDD.

Hey, we all know that ME is a resource pig with memory leaks on top, but all you have to do is toss it into a macine with loads of resorce and it WILL behave..........please trust me on that.

Anyway a $200 upgrade for RAM and then put in WIN 2000 and it is sweet? The RAM upgrade will not be wasted, only it might be all that is required. If it is the HDD, so what another $60?

It is NOT the MoBo

AFLAAACKKK!!
    I was using the mobo and HDD as examples, but just because you havn't been pulling ram out and putting them back doesn't mean ram slots can't go faulty...

It just seems more cost efficient IMHO to go with the 600 dollar new computer, you get 1 gig of ram, 3.0ghz P4, windows XP professional... And if she needs anymore upgrades in the future to that machine it's not likely to cost her 200 bucks .
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Yes, I see your point, but you have obviously not had much experience in dealing with older persons

t just seems more cost efficient IMHO to go with the 600 dollar new computer
    She spent $2500 when that was like $3200 these days. She will not want to scrap it? She would probably prefer to spend $200 (although I believe it could be done for less) than write off the money.

Over here, it would not be an issue...................6 years is not acceptable.....and the LAW says that..............it would not be accepted with a car, a fridge, a radio, a TV..............so dont accept it.

Consumers and small furry animals have rights as well.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Yes, I realize after posting my last comment that I am still young and have yet to learn the ways of "the old people", and that you have far more experience with their kind then I will ever have for quite some time .
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Well to all who have partaken in this thread, I have a new flash. Was talking to some other family members and we decided to just go with a new computer. Going to try and save the peripherals (monitor, keyboard, meese, etc.) and just upgrade the tower. We found some good deals at Dell and figured spending the extra money would be worth it. I forget the specs on the tower we found but, it's a nice one. In addition to that, this tower comes with XP Media Edition which we figure should be perfect for mom.
    As brought up by some members in this thread, spending all that money and finding out, it didn't solve the problem would stink. I think the new tower has 1Gig processor, 160G hardrive, some reserve hidden 160G hardrive (I don't know exactly what that is), etc. etc. All the good stuff. Figures, I finally had a plan of attack to save the old battleship and Cappy says "just sink the damn thing, we got us a new ship".
    Thanks anyways everyone.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Well, I would keep the old one and downgrade to 98SE anyway, that should solve most of your problems. I don't think you'll need the ram upgrade with 98SE, especially since you have RDRAM, 128 mb of RDRAM is enough for 98SE...

Glad you guys got a new computer, Care to share the price? I would like to compare the new computer as opposed to upgrading the old one...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Here's my breakdown for the old computer:
    $360 for two RAM sticks (which is what I would have done)
    $75 for Windows 2000 (which is what I was going to get)
    Total = $435
    The new computer tower is $1100. So, I figure the difference is about $665
    I would have liked to have gone with the cheaper method but, it's not up to me.
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

I'd keep that bugger, and install either IPCop or Smoothwall. Turn it into a dedicated appliance. That current config with the small amount of ram ect., is perfect. I have an old 500mhz box with 128mg memory, and a 1.6ghz hdd, that is worth a ton of gold. It's been up for years and never let me down since I set it up as a firewall.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Or you could have gotten something like what I linked to, which would have only cost 600 ... But it's ultimately up to your parents and they have decided.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Hi ShagDevil ,

I am afraid that your math is wrong, it is $180 for the "kit" which consists of two strips, so you are talking $250 against $1100.

Before you kill the beast there are a few of things I would like you to try:

1. Set the memory manager to attempt to recover 32Mb when the available memory drops to 12Mb
    2. Go into "Start", <settings>, <control panel>, <system>, <performance>, <file system>
    3. Change the "Typical role of this computer" to Network Server
    4. Select <Virtual Memory> and check "Let me specify my own virtual memory settings"
    5. Set it to Minimum = 512, maximum = 512
    6. Ignore the warnings and come out and shut down.
    7. Reboot and see what happens.

That is a powerful machine from a Win ME viewpoint. If it is set to server, it will handle files more efficiently.

Windows does not handle virtual memory very well for machines with a low amount of physical RAM. If you have a small amount of physical memory, you need more virtual memory, the Win ME algorithm doesn't understand this