Thread: Hamachi VPN

Hamachi VPN

Anyone used/heard of it? Sounds very interesting, a secure tunnel from PC to PC creating your own little Virtual Network with no configuration required of your NAT routers, Firewalls etc...

Would it be a security concern to have people tunnelling from the office back to their home network? I think it would be?

http://www.hamachi.cc/

King Tutorial-ankhamun
    I heard about this on the Security Now podcast, but I've not played with it much. I have SSH boxes a VPNs at work, but for some one that just has their home box it sounds like it could be of great help.

Re: Hamachi VPN

Originally posted here by Goz
    Anyone used/heard of it? Sounds very interesting, a secure tunnel from PC to PC creating your own little Virtual Network with no configuration required of your NAT routers, Firewalls etc...

Would it be a security concern to have people tunnelling from the office back to their home network? I think it would be?

http://www.hamachi.cc/

Hamachi works very well. I've found that it does have issues with firewalls and firewall/poxy programs that filter outbound traffic, even on Microsoft's ISA 2004 firewall/proxy server it is difficult to get Hamachi to stay connected consistently even after adding the proper rules. For connecting with friends though, it is awesome. Half of my friends have no idea how to use an FTP client, so letting them in with Hamachi is much easier and it uses Windows explorer which they're familiar with.

mmmm, sushi.
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson