Modding your own computer case
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modding your own computer case

Banned

Modding your own computer case

Any of you guys know what is the best way to paint/spray-paint a beige metal computer case... I wanna mod it myself. Anyone's got a tutorial or an URL

What paint should I use?

How many coats?

Should I use different paint on the plastic front?

Depends how much time you want to spend doing it, if you are just going to spray over the existing paint, I always liked Plasti-kote, it used for touching up things like fridges,washing machines etc

Find it here:
    http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Site/about.asp

Or the fluorescent version:
    http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Site/pr...?PRODUCT_ID=27

Full product range:
    http://www.plasti-kote.co.uk/Site/pr...?CATAGORY_ID=5

Or if you want to remove the exisiting paint and do it from scratch, normal everyday "automotive" spray-paint will do, If you want to do a really professional job thin the paint out with automotive lacquer thinner (think thats what you guys call it!)

You can use the plasti-kote if you remove the paint but you have to prime it, some paints produce the crackle touch effect which can be quite funky!

I went through a "stage" about 5-6 years ago, doing it for my friends and stuff, there is all sorts of stuff you can use, tri-coat has to be my favorite- think they use it on cars mainly.

You can use any paint I suppose - ive just got the best results with these is all! Depends how good you want it to look!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Banned
    how would i remove the original paint

it's the same old regular beige stuff that's on every 90's computer

I used this:
    STRIPPER NB-610

I used to get it from here:
    http://www.stripperspaintremovers.com/products.htm#h

any stripper that removes paint from car panels is good though, or you can sand it off but you will have to prime it if you sand it otherwise it looks a wee bit .. ****!
    Drugs have taught an entire generation of kids the metric system.

http://tazforum.**********.com/

Hi unhappy , So, you are unhappy with your case colour.............?

Sorry about the awful pun, I just could not resist

If I have a small job like that, I will go to a local Cycle or bodywork shop. You may not have a great choice of colours (like what they happen to be doing that day) but you can usually get a professional job for the price of a few beers.

If you are in no great rush, they will generally show you the schedule for the next couple of weeks, so you can pick a reasonable colour.

If you want custom, then you will have to go the way already suggested. As a word of warning, custom can be expensive....................................

As for removing the paint., that could be a big problem if it really is a '90's computer. It is probably stove enamelled.

Banned
    that's a great idea nihil ... (must spread AP's though)

by the way i just want it to be plain black ... that's all

so how do i figure out what is the paint (paint/enamel) i don't wanna poison myself

it doesn't have a texture like the really really old computers ... just plain paint

********** |ceWriterguy
    Just plain black? Dude. Get a can of flat black spray paint. Paint the box. Don't worry about removing the beige - black will cover it. If you want it shiny and pretty, add a coat of gloss black on top of the flat black.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

unhappy here is what you do. Get some paint remover if you want and remove the paint, then what you want to do is get some fine graine sandpaper and go over the entire case at least all you want to paint(Dont skip this part because paint needs something to stick to if it is a perfectally smooth surface the paint wont stick well and you will get lots of runs) then clean it with soap and water to get rid of all of the particles that might be left because if you paint on top of them it will cause the paint to lift, crack, and chip which sucks. Then go down to your auto parts store and get some nice auto spray paint and put a few thin layers giving time for each layer to dry in between just anouph so the paint gets tacky or it will cause runs in the paint and that just looks like **** once your done let it dry for a few days before putting it back to use because it will take a few days for the paint to fully dry. I hope I was of some help. Also not really nessary but if you want you could also do a clear coat to give it an even better shine if thats what your going for.

O and for the plastic front read the paint you use most spray paints and mettal paints will eat right through plastic so be careful about that.

Banned
    If you use spraypaint, stay away from at least 30" and spray light and quick.
    Do several light coats. Not one big heavy coat. Spray one coat, wait 1 hour or until dry then Spray coat two then repeat until desired texture.

Start with the base color (say black)

Then spray with stencils (much easier for beginner) by color layers.

Hope my 2 cents help!

Clean it before painting. I wipe it down with alcohol because I have it around. Isoopropyl is safe; methyl is cheaper, but use rubber gloves. Beware of overspray, it drifts everywhere. Follow the instructions on the can, and apply light coats. Too heavy and it will run.

For the plastic bezel, use vinyl dye from an auto supply. Also called vinyl paint and intended for vinyl seats, it won't flake off the plastic like regular paint will.