Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: HACK inn

HACK inn

I am a student attending to be a network administrator and I am disappointed in the amount of anti hacking we learn at ITT Tech. I would think that we are being trained to maintain a network and prevent hackers from breaking in.

I am curious what possible things can be done when you have a ip address of a target.

- Port scan (what would you look for besides open ports?)
    What can be done with ports that are not closed?
    How can you access ports that are open?
    -How can you discover what is on the end of that ip address?
    With or without a firewall?
    How could you tell?
    -How would you determine what the biggest security risk is as a network administrator?
    What should be monitored the closest if you are expecting a malicious person to damage something from outside the network?

I have so many questions like this that I should be learning in my classes but so little answers.....

Also I have just started to use Cisco routers and notice there are tons of security risks if these are not set up correctly. Of course physical access to one of these is a HUGE risk because there is nothing you are able to do when someone has a laptop plugged into the physical interface of these. What should be double checked to ensure no outside risk is open and why.

I am just looking for advice, things you would recommend to research. Things that my teachers probably don't know or would not tell us THE THINGS NETWORK ADMINS NEED THE MOST....

Please go off the subject of what I have asked about. I would like to know everything to know about managing security risks and how to spot them.
    Thanks,
    jrumj

AO's Mr Grumpy

Re: HACK inn

Originally posted here by JRUMJ
    I am a student attending to be a network administrator and I am disappointed in the amount of anti hacking we learn at ITT Tech. I would think that we are being trained to maintain a network and prevent hackers from breaking in.

I am curious what possible things can be done when you have a ip address of a target.

- Port scan (what would you look for besides open ports?)
    What can be done with ports that are not closed?
    How can you access ports that are open?
    -How can you discover what is on the end of that ip address?
    With or without a firewall?
    How could you tell?
    -How would you determine what the biggest security risk is as a network administrator?
    What should be monitored the closest if you are expecting a malicious person to damage something from outside the network?

I have so many questions like this that I should be learning in my classes but so little answers.....

Also I have just started to use Cisco routers and notice there are tons of security risks if these are not set up correctly. Of course physical access to one of these is a HUGE risk because there is nothing you are able to do when someone has a laptop plugged into the physical interface of these. What should be double checked to ensure no outside risk is open and why.

I am just looking for advice, things you would recommend to research. Things that my teachers probably don't know or would not tell us THE THINGS NETWORK ADMINS NEED THE MOST....

Please go off the subject of what I have asked about. I would like to know everything to know about managing security risks and how to spot them.
    Having read your post , I personally feel it is full of ****. Has it never occured to you to ask your tutor/lecturer all these questions, and if not why are you a student? Oooppss, sorry bad teachers not knowing anything and keeping secrets / knowledge from students. Change your college / University or get a job
    Computer says no
    (Carol Beer)

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    quite an order you have there .....
    too many to answer fully, but first I'm curious ......

I am a student attending to be a network administrator
    I would think that we are being trained to maintain a network and prevent hackers from breaking in.
    am I missing something here

you are being trained to keep a network safe ......
    you wish to know about how to break into the network ......

the two sides are complimentary
    to keep a network safe, you have to understand what the tools ranged against you are capable of

you will have to study hard at college
    then you will have to study even harder at home

the answer is just that, it is in your own hands .......
    read everything you can on IT
    subscribe to IT security boards and mailing lists
    read everything they send

then when your eyes have been worn out, get a job as a piano tuner

truth be told, it's not what the tools can find that's important, the secret is how you INTERPRET the data ........... there you will unlock all the doors
    and for that knowledge there is no short cut.

quick tip
    IP addresses can be dynamically assigned, this means the same address could be re-assigned to another PC anywhere else on that ISP's network.
    my own IP shows as being from Birmingham [UK] which is over 100 miles from me, but that is where my ISP links out to the world from .........
    so knowing my IP isn't going to get you too close to finding me

port scan - gives a readout on the state of all found ports on the target PC. as for what else would you look for ??? it's a port scan !!

Firewall ; until you are 'reasonably' proficient in th edark arts of IT, I'd say YES to a firewall

biggest security risk : IMHO it is the users [social engineering is VERY effective]

to monitor for outside attack : firewall logs as a first step, closely followed by keeping an eye out for unusual activity at unusual times .........

lastly :
    never assume that your tutors do not know the answers :
    they are probably waiting for your education to reach a level where you will be able to utilise the knowledge, otherwise it would be a waste of time and resource.
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

JRUMJ

I would think someone just starting out would ask questions about the OSI Layers, TCP/IP, Routing and Routed Protocols, etc. But yet you are already worried about hacking? Curious for sure.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I did not ask for some smart ass B**** comments!!!!! I am only 21, yes I will have to work hard and I expect to for a long time I have alot of life left in me. How about you??????? DUH, are you a F****** rocket scientist. Shut up, you just might know more than me when it comes to a subject.... This does not mean that insults are needed. I can tell you don't like who you are and would rather be an ass then to share your knowledge. I am asking simple questions that I am researching at the same time. I am not expecting to get all the advice I need from people like you. This is a forum right? If you don't like what I am asking don't waste your presiouse time to NOT HELP ANYONE! I really hate to stoop to others levels like I just did but sometimes people need to realize how they are acting just because they can't find someone to put out. Think about my dam question and read your answer A******.
    Thanks,
    jrumj

Hey JURUMJ , chill out will ya?

First you have to learn networks?

Now, when I was at university (and dinosaurs roamed the Earth ) we were generally reading stuff 3-5 years behind the, then current research. I guess you have a similar problem?

But what good is 3 month old anti-hacking info?

You are there to learn principles, you learn how to do a job when you have gotten one.

Sorry I don't mean to jump the gun, just felt his comment was uncalled for.

I have learned about the OSI 7 layers. Which definitely help but I am "curious" as you say about hacking. I am not just speaking of networks. The way I see it is if I cannot do something I want to do I find another way to do it (right? that is how most people are) A administrator will close all entrances to a specific potential problem area (Right??) And he moves along to the next task. Ok that "hacker" found another way to do exactly what he wanted which is why they are hackers (Why I would like to know MORE than I do now about hacking). Hopefully this will clear up any thoughts you guys have of my wanting to hack a bank or something.
    Thanks,
    jrumj

********** |ceWriterguy
    Ok, now that the reds have been distributed accordingly (JM, did ya have to call it bullshit? I thought it was a sound question... Jurumj, did ya have to lose your temper there even after Nihil had attempted to help?) I'll add in a few thoughts - Hope they help answer your questions.

First - there's a ton of guys here who know more than me. If you're offered more sound advice, I suggest you take it. My AAS in computer networking technologies and 7 years experience is a pittance compared to the credentials others have to offer.

On portscan - yes, you're scanning for open ports. Since different ports are 'normally designated' to do different things, you can use the knowledge of which ports the target's box is listening to to figure out which way to hit him if that's what you so desire. For more than that, you'll have to ask your instructors, or the fine folks here if they're willing to share.

On accessing open ports - see above. Once you know what port is normally assigned to what function (like SMTP, TCP/IP, etc.. ) you can access it by sending inquiries to that port from appropriate (or spoofed, custom made) software. Getting the picture yet? Now another cool thing is 'packet flooding' - aka DOS (using one system to attack) or DDOS (using multiple systems to attack) - if you hit him with enough packets you effectively 'plug up' that port to which he's listening. You also eat up his computing resources and could force a system crash. There was a time when sending a bad packet could do this too - ask your instructors for details.

On IP addresses - with dynamic IP addressing, you normally cant...but like anything, there are exceptions. IF the guy's still online and hasn't disconnected/reconnected/repaired his net connection odds are he's still got the same IP. If you use a package like 'smart whois' you can usually trace it nicely back to his ISP, and lodge a complaint to them for his misdeeds. Provide proof, and the times he committed his offenses (firewall logs work nicely for this). This works firewalled or not, or whether he's behind a router or not. Your portscanning and subsequent actions won't do much if he's behind a solid router/firewall unless you're dos attacking, which is a huge nono.

How can you tell if they're firewalled or if you're seeing a router or an actual computer system? Experience - once you've seen examples of how each responds, you'll know what you're looking at. I can't go into more detail than that - suggest you set up a mini-lan in classroom if the prof permits and see for yourself..

For your last 2 questions I've got to go with Nihil - the USERS are your biggest threat and that thing which you should keep your sharpest eye upon. Nobody can screw up a well made system as quickly as they can. They invite virii, spyware, and hackers into your system by their innocent and uneducated behavior, and can down your entire network in a second if they think they know what they're doing... a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing.

Now was all that worth getting rude over? Hope it helped.

[edit]Amazing what fatigue will do eh? Just got notified by pm that I'd mistakenly called Dos and DDos by a diff name - fixed the typo and thanks to that person![/edit]
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

I will reply later i'm on my way to class YIPEE, just want you to know my message was not intended to anyone who is trying to help or share their knowledge....
    Thanks,
    jrumj

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Girls and boys....

I don't have the time right now or I would help the guy... He's kosher... Cut him some slack and answer the questions.... Most colleges etc. barely teach how a computer works... At least the kid is _thinking_... Give him a break....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides