Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: HACK inn

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    but AO doesn't say anywhere that it's a help site...
    HT: You need to log out and go read the front page all over again... It clearly indicates that you can expect help here... I know... I wrote the text for the front page....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark
    HT: You need to log out and go read the front page all over again... It clearly indicates that you can expect help here... I know... I wrote the text for the front page....
    It also says if you understand what AO is... you can expect help.... AO is a community and a Family... and it defines what AO is to another level

What AntiOnline IS:
    AO is a worldwide community of security, network and computer professionals, students and keen amateurs who come here to learn the principles and details of computer/network security.
    AO is a place where the community share their knowledge to help the others learn and where people assist each other with identifying and mitigating security issues as they pertain to the many real life situations faced by us all.
    Sharing is the act of giving.... (i.e. tutorials or being kind enough to post)... JRUMJ demanded... which means he doesn't understand what AO is (based on what the site says)... which means he can't expect help

Peace,
    HT

Obtuse little bitch aren't you HT? <LOL>
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Originally posted here by JRUMJ
    I don't remember and I don't want to go back and look but someone wanted to know my schooling info. I am going to ITT Tech, 7th quarter of 16. I have not even entered the ISS (internet security systems) yet. The first 8 quarters are networking, operating system, protocols, topologies, wans, lans, programming, math, comp, dynamics, etc. Basics. I start ISS in my 9th quarter which I am very excited about.... I think it will be a great experience for me. I will have a associates degree after my 8th quarter and a bachelors after my 16th.
    If you haven't gotten to this portion of your course yet, why are you so concerned that the information hasn't been taught to you... Everyone in my course used to ask this... They'd want the cool stuff... but they didn't want to learn any of the basics of background to get there...

I can tell you that you can cause a modem to hang up by sending +++ATH0 if it's hayes compatible... but if you haven't learnd your hardware to identify the type of chipset used... you won't be able to identify modem you'll be able to play with in lab.

I told you by sending it.. I didn't say how... are you going to put alligator clips on a network cable and tap it out using morse code??? Or send them an email with +++ATH0 (because that'll go through their modem)... But if you know the modem will properly interpret +++ATH0 if it's in hex, then you need to know how to do the math to convert it... but still how do you send it... Well, you could put it inside a packet, but then you need to know IP and the underlying protocols... You need to know that you can put any data you want into an ICMP and that the modem will read that and accept the command from that...

Without information it's just a fun and mean thing to do.... but with the information it opens the door to a whole lot of possibilities and underlying concepts...

(btw I picked something so old and crappy on purpose)

TS: I try my best :P

Peace,
    HT

btw I picked something so old and crappy on purpose
    You don't have to be like that just because I called you obtuse....

They call me the Hunted foxyloxley's Avatar
    Originally posted here by HTRegz
    no one learns while being spoon fed.. just look at a lot of the idiots that colleges and univrsities turn out..
    When did you leave Uni HT [just couldn't resist ]

this thread HAS generated a lot of responses, and most are giving a full and proper answer.
    'we' may not be a help desk, but with threads like this, I know why I stayed on board

although the cute decoder ring helped
    so now I'm in my SIXTIES FFS
    WTAF, how did that happen, so no more alterations to the sig, it will remain as is now

Beware of Geeks bearing GIF's
    come and waste the day :P at The Taz Zone

Exactly.

Ninja Code Monkey
    As chsh said, you should first get a strong foundation before you go off into other topics such as hacking. Otherwise you're just another turd running someone elses code without an understanding of what's going on (which is an apt description for far too many security consultants).

Also, knowing about those 3 month old hacks can be useful as we are all human and it is common for us to repeat our mistakes or the mistakes made by others. If it was any different, we wouldn't be dealing with the majority of problems we have today such as misconfigured servers, poorly architected software, etc.

Those who ignore the past are doomed to repeat it.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

Originally posted here by HTRegz
    The reason isn't to scare people away either... it's to make them think and learn... no one learns while being spoon fed.. just look at a lot of the idiots that colleges and univrsities turn out..
    Still off topic:

I am a recent graduate, and if I may note that the general problem with graduates (in my area at least) is that they are not humble enough! If a graduate who has a good grounding in basics/old technology comes into a workplace and acknowledges they know nothing of relevance, they can learn an aweful lot in a very short time span. Not only will they know how to do it, they will generally understand the why as well (which in my book is more important...)

But if they come in half cocky, they need to be taught a lesson or two before they are pliable enough to learn the things they need to learn. Lessons hurt!

I really believe in a University education because it is so BROAD. But graduates need to be taught (and to remember) that is the purpose: not so they can waltz into any job and 'own'.

[q]I did not ask for some smart ass B**** comments!!!!! I am only 21, yes I will have to work hard and I expect to for a long time I have alot of life left in me[/q]

Not like that you won't, you will die before you're 22 getting stressed out like that. It was just a comment from another human being.

What a fun thread. I just think that if you are interested in anything in this world, a sense of humour goes very very far. I think the guy has a valid question (I know less than all of you, but I can load 21 Red Hot Chili Peppers trucks in 8 hours with the aid of another 119 people if that helps), one I would possibly ask myself, heck see some of my other posts lol. But I do think that a great lesson to learn in college is that there are people out there with no patience (see how I react if you are new and in the back of a truck with me) and the best thing you can do is put is find a way to make them look a little bit ridiculous, but only a little, not a lot. Keep it light guys, and lets all live longer eh.

See I might have an even stupider question if I didn't get the quote thing right lol.

The Frond "ayyyyyyy"
    Sarcasm is a way of life