Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: News: U.S. Government unleashes cyber storm

Arrow News: U.S. Government unleashes cyber storm

U.S. Government unleashes cyber storm
    Source: http://www.xatrix.org/article.php?s=4288

From 6. to 10. February U.S. Government agencies are conducting Operation Cyber Storm,
    which should show what would happen to the USA if a digital equivalent of Hurricane
    Katrina should arrise.

The exercise will mimic the effects of a large-scale cyber-attack that affects the IT, transportation, energy and telecommunications sectors. It's sponsored by the Department of Homeland Security's NCSD (National Cyber Security Division). Apart from government officials and employees, private companies are also taking part, such as Cisco Systems, Citadel Security Software, Computer Associates International, Computer Sciences Corporation, Intel, Microsoft, Symantec and VeriSign.

People all over the world, not only in the US, are worried that Cyber Storm will hack the planet. DHS assures that the whole exercise is only a simulation, oriented at the government's ability to communicate internally with the private sector about situational awareness, decision making and proper response to attacks.

ummmm...hoax???

Doesn't look like a hoax, but not a whole lot is written on it either.

http://isc.sans.org/diary.php?storyid=1098&rss

http://www.fcw.com/article92160-01-31-06-Web

I will be curious to hear the results though.
    The only limit a person has, is the limit they give themselves.
    Cogito ergo sum. - Descartes

OH DEAR!

I will be curious to hear the results though.
    I am sorry to tell you that you won't................we are dealing with politicians here, and we are on a needs to know basis most assuredly.

You will be told that the results were "reassuring"

You are probably right, atleast until they become public domain...if they become public domain. I will probably be dead by then anyway, but I can always dream.
    The only limit a person has, is the limit they give themselves.
    Cogito ergo sum. - Descartes

Well, actually my worry is that real attacks will be hidden amongst the fake ones. There are nine major companies participating with MS, Intel , and cisco included. Let me find the link... ah here it is:Cyber Storm Moved up

Some more info on this 'Cyber Storm"...http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com...L-34&ad=542309
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

another tid-bit

doesn't seem like too much was discovered or resolved in this little table-top excersize.

Since no private sectors or enterprise businesses involved, i dont think they saw the need of letting us know the results. majority of the test were for govt departments and key organizations. Altho it would be nice to know if the test went well or horribly failed. They probably dont want to cause major panics if they did fail.

I do know one efficient way to topple countries that rely heavily on technology... a HUGE ASS EMP Cannon mounted on a sattelite... imagine what that would do to us....

I do know one efficient way to topple countries that rely heavily on technology... a HUGE ASS EMP Cannon mounted on a sattelite... imagine what that would do to us....
    Yeah, hope I'm not flying the friendly skies when that happens......

Of course they won't reveal the results, as it is National Security, so you would need a "need to know basis", after which they kill you........
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson