Windows XP home, net command problem
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP home, net command problem

StOrM™

Windows XP home, net command problem

Greeting's

I am posting this here because I'm not sure if its an security issue anyway if so required I will get it transferred to a security forum.

Okay here is the problem, I'm having problems using the NET command in XP home. I'm logged in as an administrator. I am not sure what is wrong here. The only error I get is :

"the command completed with one or more error's"

That is it. I see all user name's (i guess). I have completed an online scan at both trendmicro and windows. I have used F-secure's rootkit detection utility which came up with nothing. I then used Rootkit revealer by systeminternals it came with 5 probable reg entries but i don't know if they are rootkits so I have taken a screen shot which I will post if required. I have scanned the system with a2 and Ewido but nothing comes up.

Any idea's ?
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Greater the Difficulty, SWEETER the Victory.

Believe in yourself.

Have you looked at the event viewer to see where this error points too.MS Article

Also you can try Run....sfc /scannow and see if it finds corrupted files.Guide
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

StOrM™
    Greeting's

I checked all windows system files with SFC and I also checked for digital signature's everything's fine.

Well there is something in the security log here are the details : (I tried more info at eventid but no help)

Catagory : policy change

Event ID : 615

Type : failure Audit

Details :

IPSec Services: IPSec Services has experienced a critical failure and has shut down with error code: The network connection was aborted by the local system.
    . Stopped IPSec Services can be a potential security hazard to the machine. Please contact your machine administrator to re-start the service.

Any Idea why ? I did try microsoft's help link but it had no extra info.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

Hi

It sounds like you may have Group Policy issues, you mentioned you are using WinXP Home and not Pro...
    Networking features
    * The following networking features are not included in Home Edition: The user interface for IPSecurity (IPSec)
    * SNMP
    * Simple TCP/IP services
    * SAP Agent
    * Client Service for NetWare
    * Network Monitor
    * Multiple Roaming feature
    So I am unsure why you would get that particular error, however this article may help..
    Security Focus

As to Group Policies, only Pro has an interface, but with the Home version you can go into the registry (make a backup before you tweak these).Tips

Claude Swanson

StOrM™
    Greeting's

dalek thank you a lot you have really helped but none of the solutions make any difference it still gives the same error.

Okay one last thing is there is a possibility of a Trojan and / or rootkit on the system.

I have done the following :

scanned the computer online and offline (also in safe mode) with following software's :
    1. a2
    2. Ewido
    3. Norton
    4. Trendmicro (online)
    5. Ad-aware
    6. spybot
    7. also online at windows live

okay I know I'm being to paranoid but i just cant get why net command doesn't work anyway ill be taking my logs to a friend may be he'll help anyway I have posted my rootkit reveler screen shot. thank you again delek
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

Originally posted here by ByTeWrangler
    Greeting's

dalek thank you a lot you have really helped but none of the solutions make any difference it still gives the same error.

Okay one last thing is there is a possibility of a Trojan and / or rootkit on the system.

I have done the following :

scanned the computer online and offline (also in safe mode) with following software's :
    1. a2
    2. Ewido
    3. Norton
    4. Trendmicro (online)
    5. Ad-aware
    6. spybot
    7. also online at windows live

okay I know I'm being to paranoid but i just cant get why net command doesn't work anyway ill be taking my logs to a friend may be he'll help anyway I have posted my rootkit reveler screen shot. thank you again delek
    your welcome ByTeWrangler...if you think it may be a trojan you can try downloading Stinger from McAfee and letting it scan your system, also a Highjack This log may show something else...another method you might want to try is doing it in safe mode with the "administrator" account, even if the account your using is an account with administrative abilities, the settings or permissions may be corrupt.?This site may help..ScottXP

Luck...

Claude Swanson

Hey Hey,

I don't see it mentioned here... but which net command were you running? Do you have a firewall running?

Peace,
    HT
    IT Blog: .:Computer Defense:.
    PnCHd (Pronounced Pinched): Acronym - Point 'n Click Hacked. As in: "That website was pinched" or "The skiddie pinched my computer because I forgot to patch".

StOrM™
    Greeting's

I am talking about the "NET USER" COMMAND and some other commands in the cmd prompt. I have a software based firewall running.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.

Hi

Is it just the "Net User" command that your having trouble with, can you use Net Help or Net View...

This site has a listing of Net Commands, you might be able to diagnose the problem with these..MS-DOS

Claude Swanson

StOrM™
    Greeting's

Net help works and i think NET VIEW works to, but this time there is an error code that it (net view) returns.

The error is system error 1060 (service's not installed).

I did a hijackthis scan and looks clean too me. I double checked it at hijackthis.de and even there it looks clean. But if you guys still need it, ill post it.

Thank you all.
    Parth Maniar,
    CISSP, CISM, CISA, SSCP

*Thank you GOD*

Believe in yourself.