trouble getting online with slack 10
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trouble getting online with slack 10

trouble getting online with slack 10

I am running a dual boot system between xp pro and slack 10. I have been able to succesfully get slack installed and it runs but when I did the install with slack I did not have a network cable run to the machine because I was using wireless to get online with xp. During the install of slack I skipped the part where you set up the network. Now I have run the cable and I am wanting to get online with slack but I cannot find where to set up the card. I am using KDE as my gui and i poked around that for a while and couldnt find anything that would let me configure the internet settings. I am not apposed to doing it at command promt but I wouldnt know where to start with that. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.

also the nic I am using is one built in to my mobo its a msi all in one.

Open a Konsole:

Become root

Type:

pkgtool

Select "run installation scripts"

Scroll down with arrow keys to network configuration, hit enter.

Thanks for the help gore. I tried that and it still wont go online. Could i be having a driver issue like the device isnt recognized by the system or something? I am going to try a couple of other things but any help is appreciated. How do I check to see if the card (embedded in mobo) is recognized by the os? Thanks again

ok so I went to slacks site and checked out what they said about configuring it and they said to run netconfig as root and that took me to the same package script that gore took me to. They also said that that would probe for nic card on the system but it did not. Also they said that I could go in and change the rc.modules file. I checked into that but could not figure out how to modify it. Should I just reinstall or keep poking around? Thanks.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=260583

Since the machine is fresh might as well reinstall. Read that and when it comes to network configuration, make sure you do it properly. You can set just about anything for the host name and the .org for the next part of it. and of course selecting DHCP would be a good idea so it can just grab the IP it needs from the router or whatever you're using.

thanks for the help. I have that tutorial. thats the one i used to install the first time. I will try it again and see what happens. Thanks again.

I haven't used linux enough to be an expert in this, but it's easy to find in Ubuntu in Gnome. It's in system administration. This is either going to be something part of KDE, or written by Slack. And if you can't find it by looking around yourself, it doesn't say much for the distro. It will require logging in as root. In Ubuntu that prompt comes up when you choose system admin; you don't need to be root to find it.
    Good luck. I hope it doesn't require you to go straight to command line. I think Slack is a lean distro, and it has the rep of requiring more knowledge, and more hands on.

Uhhh dude. Slackware doesn't HAVE an admin panel. And saying it doesn't say much for the distro because you can't find something that has never been written, lol real good.

ok so I am ready to try a reinstall if nessasary but in the interest of actually learning something new and getting to know this new to me OS how can I look to see what hardware is being recognized by the OS? To be honest I am really familiar with windows. I want to get into linux more because windows is getting to integrated with everything else. I want more control. anyways...so I think it is a problem with the OS not seeing the card or it not being configured right. I did open a terminal and just type ping blah.blah.blah subsitute the blah blah for my gateway and it kept repeating that it was pinging and whatever the ms were. So that would tell me that the card is working and i can ping my gateway, however when i tried an outside ip address it would not work. It would just sit there. another thing, when i pinged the gateway i couldnt get it to stop pinging until i closed the terminal window. do i have to set a time on pings? Thanks again.

Aspren, after you log in, run "demesg" in a terminal to see all the hardware on boot. On ping, type "ctrl c" to stop pinging. Also look under "man ping" for the different flags. Is your router setup for DHCP, and have you configured your OS for same?