February 9th, 2006, 08:02 PM
VMware Introduces Free VMware Server
I haven't downloaded it yet, but it appears its a beta version.
I definitely plan on throwing this on my server at home though.
Supposedly it runs a fair bit faster than Microsoft's Virtual Machine.
I know a lot of people here in AO have used both.
--->Link to VMware Site<---
To all the security practitioners out there who have never used
VMware or MS Virtual Machine, this software is an absolute MUST.
Some of the more popular uses of it include:
*Software development and testing
*Running multiple OS's off of one machine simultaneously
*Testing security tools & exploits
*Testing new software when a testlab isn't available
With VMware Server you can:
* Streamline software development and testing by allowing developers to create multiple environments with different operating systems on the same server.
* Evaluate software in ready-to-run virtual machines without installation and configuration.
* Re-host legacy operating systems such as Windows NT Server 4.0 and Windows 2000 Server in a virtual machine running on new hardware and operating system.
* Simplify server provisioning by building a virtual machine once and deploying it multiple times.
* Leverage pre-built, ready-to-run virtual appliances that include virtual hardware, operating system and application environments. Virtual appliances for Web, email, proxy and other infrastructure services are available for download from the VMTN Virtual Machine Center.
February 9th, 2006, 08:38 PM
thanks for the post very usefull, ive been using vmware workstation for years now just for playing around with new exploits but ive been itchin for a reason to try this out.