Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suprisingly easy CGI dictionary attack...

Its a shame that the ethics of people must nannyied with the use of AP's.

Surely information the majority of the information on this site could be used for misdoings, however it is the responsiblity of the individual to realise the ethical/ legal implications of doing so.

AP's will not change a persons interest in a subject and in effect it is promoting censorship which isnt what the internet is about, however i realise that AO and Jupitermedia are of course welcome to take these actions, it just doesnt provide a learned environment, university libraries provide books on subjects such as explosives, missle systems, and Nazi ideology, yet it is left to the responsibility of the indivdual to decide on his/her actions with this knowledge.

Anyway thats my take on it.

i2c

i2c

the majority of the information on this site could be used for misdoings
    Hmmm, when am I going to get access to the hidden forum to be honest with you mate, there is very little in the forums on this site that could be used for wrongdoing. If it isn't solving specific problems, it is discussing current events and issues or recommending defensive strategies.

I certainly do not recall having see anything that can be used "off the shelf" so to speak.

Anyway, the majority of the content isn't even security related.

Yea, it's pretty simple for you and I just to say that we need to use stronger passwords. But what about the rest of the net? When I saw the list it actually suprised me, because a password I had used when I was just a kid was on there.

List of Common Passwords (Again.. intentions not malicious... first result off Google)

And yea, nihil, it's not the greatest (or fastest) method out there, but it's only one line, and effective against simple passwords..
    Everything Turns Grey!

Banned
    The bashing I referenced was AP assignment(s) to the original post.

nihil i think there is information that the creative could use, for instance i could plan an attack bassed on the typical policy thats discussed widely here, the addicts forum even had a subject in the last 6 months regarding the construction of an RAT.

I certainly agree with you that the information i percieve as being useful to the "creative" isnt glaringly obvious but its there in my eyes, even if its just words or techniques to lookup on google. thehorse's tutorial on "hping" is alsp another good example.

Prehaps im incorrect and to creative, but thats certainly my take on it, this post is certainly no worse that the firemapping section of the Hping tutorial series, and there was no fuss regarding that.

i2c

Hey, blithendell , don't get me wrong, I do not think that your post was wrong in its content.........you might have given us a bit better clue as to the direction you wanted it to take?

I took the speed of online cracking, cracking methodologies and password strength..........but that was just pulled out of the air

I appreciated what you were saying, and that it is a problem amongst non-cognoscenti. Where I really picked up on your line was the number of sites that allowed unlimited connection attempts, that is really bad unless it is some sort of home hosted affair?

i2c

I still don't think that there is anything in the forums that would be directly useful to a malicious person. It will take a certain amout of knowledge to even get half way?

Yes we may be a trifle over paranoid.............so just post your zero day exploits in hardware?

Well it may cause a certain stiffness amongst our "security experts in their own imagination"