n00b speaker question...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: n00b speaker question...

n00b speaker question...

So, my friends played a trick on me and set the sound output in Windows on my PC to only go to one speaker. Well, I didn't realize this, so I went through about an hour worth of trouble trying to find out today why one of my speakers wasn't working. I took it out of the back jack, put it in the front, etc. Well, I finally figured out that it was that the output settings had been changed, but now there's no sound!

No sound whatsoever! I can plug these same speakers + sub into my laptops port and it works fine. When I unplug them from my PC, it makes a sound, so I know it recognizes some sort of electrical activity in there. But, no sound is coming out at all, unless I plug them into another computer.

Any ideas?

********** |ceWriterguy
    Start at ground zero. Make sure the speakers are plugged into the right hole on the computer. Make sure if they're powered that they're plugged in and the amp is turned on. Make sure the volume on the speakers themselves is set correctly. Make sure your sound control isn't muted...
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

Also how much speakers do you have? 2.0? 5.1? 7.1? Details details details

EDIT: I'm going to assume you have 2.0 speakers (2 speakers, no subwoofer), go into the control panel, click on Sounds, Speach and audio devices (Assuming you have the control panel setup on XP the way it comes), then click "Sounds and Audio Devices".

Next click Speaker Volume, make sure that is ok for BOTH speakers and click OK. If that doesn't solve your problem, keep reading.

Instead of clicking speaker volume, click the advanced button located under "Device Volume" and make sure the balance on all of them is in the middle and not to one side. If THAT doesn't solve your problem keep reading.

Instead of clicking the advanced button click the audio tab. Then under Audio playback click advanced and make sure you select the correct speaker setup that you have. If THAT doesn't work then check to see if there is a removeable connection on one of your speakers (the one that connects to the other one, that supplies the power to it) Hope it helps
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Hey guys,

So, the setup is a 2.1. I had already gone through all of that, and that's how I realized that someone had screwed with me and set it to only play out of one speaker. I fixed that problem, but randomly it started to not work at all (only fuzz-ish noise comes through very lightly, no actual sounds).

I was thinking that maybe in between me switching out the cables, when I plugged it back in perhaps I shorted out the sound card, since I did still have the speakers and subwoofer powered on. Is this a possibility?

Most of my experience is with 5.1 speakers so I'm not too sure about 2.1 since I've never dealt with them but I will give it my best.

Which cables did you switch? The speaker cables (the ones that look like this http://www.gepco.com/pictures/produc...spkr_hidef.jpg) or the cables that connect to your computer?

Either way, I don't think either can really mess up your sound card. What you could check is to make sure the same + and - side are connected into the subwoofer accordingly. What I would do is troubleshoot to make sure that the speakers itself aren't blown by connecting it to a radio or something (Although I probably shouldn't reccomend that since I'm no audio expert and not sure if it'll be too much for the radio or something but at low volume and for a short period of time it should be ok).

If you want to test your sound card you should get a pair of 2.0 speakers that work and connect them to your sound card. Another thing, your sound card probably came with some equilizer software, make sure the problem isn't there. But why not ask whoever you suspect did it what they did? Maybe they'll admit to it and allow you to fix it, if they dont admit to it, just take their speakers for testing your soundcard
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Did you open your mixer control and checked the settings there? (ie double click on the speaker in the systray)

you have Mute and balance setting in there....
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi Jehnx,
    There's obviously nothing worng with your current speakers... have you tried calling your friends and asking them what they did? If nothing else works, uninstall your soundcard software and then re install the drivers so it installs all default settings.

I'm sure you've checked the sound properties in the Control Panel, yes?

Hi,

Whilst you are looking at "Sounds and Audio Devices" as Raion suggested, please check that the correct device (soundcard codec) is selected.

You might have physically damaged the card, so you need to test it with some known working PC speakers.

Several times I have encountered sound cards or onboard sound where the jack plug and socket seemed to be at the limits of their tolerances. You can test for this by playing a music CD and from a fully pushed in position very slowly and gradually ease the jack plug out. The sound should suddenly cut in if this is the problem.

Originally posted here by jehnx
    Hey guys,

So, the setup is a 2.1. I had already gone through all of that, and that's how I realized that someone had screwed with me and set it to only play out of one speaker. I fixed that problem, but randomly it started to not work at all (only fuzz-ish noise comes through very lightly, no actual sounds).

I was thinking that maybe in between me switching out the cables, when I plugged it back in perhaps I shorted out the sound card, since I did still have the speakers and subwoofer powered on. Is this a possibility?

Okay, now you have me in awe. Plugging the speakers into the wrong port shouldn't have shorted put your speakers.

Do they still work on the laptop or any other source? If they do, then, nothing is wrong with your speakers. Maybe you have it in the wrong speaker port. Play a track and try plugging the speakers into all the jacks on your soundcard and maybe you'll find that it was simply plugged into the wrong port.

Also check the speaker connections.

What soundcard and speakers are you using? This maybe of help later on.

Hey guys,

My speakers are fine, as I've plugged them into another computer and they work fine. I have also taken an external USB soundcard, plugged it into my computer, plugged my speakers into it, and the speakers play just fine. So, I don't think it's the speakers.

I have also already completely formatted the hard drive and re-installed Windows. I did this last night. I haven't had the computer but for a couple of weeks, anyway, so I just backed up the few files I have gotten since then and started over. No luck. It still doesn't work. So that tells me it's not in the sound settings on the computer.

I'm going to try what you said, nihil, and see if that works. Right now I'm in class (weekend-long seminar), so when I do get back to my dorm I'll see if it does that.

This has really stumped me, too, folks! It's insane how hard this seemingly-simple and very... unusual problem is, eh? :-/

Thanks for the input of everyone, and please do contribute if you think there might be a solution we're all overlooking!