Thread: Suse 10.0

Suse 10.0

Hi

I have just installed the suse 10.0 in dualboot with windows.

The problem is that while the windows works fine on the resolution of 1024x768 pixles the suse refuses to turn up on that resolution making the monitor to go into a standby state with no display at all.

I have a HP55 Monitor.

Initially suse detected the screen resolution of my monitor as 1024x768 while installatoin and on boothing to it the monitor went into the standby mode.

Well this problem occurred from the initial boot. What i did was that i used the info on this forum and ran

sax.sh -l

It displayed the screen and set the resolution to 800x600. On logging on again i tried to change the resolution but the same thing happened.

The refresh rate taken by suse is 85Hz.

Well if the windows is running fine then i dont think there's a problem with the monitor. What could be the problem with suse and any possible solutions.
    \"The Smilie Wars\" ... just arrived after the great crusades

.... computers come to the rescue .... ah technology at last has some use.

Double check specifications of the monitor.

Howdy.

I'd be thinking that the refresh rate is set either to high or to low. Maybe drop the settings to the lowest usable settings, and slowly work your way up until you've found the sweet spot.

cheers
    front2back

Try what was pointed out. Look at the refresh rates for your monitor and see what it actually CAN handle. For example most of the ones here are 30-70 and 50-160. You need to find the book your monitor came with, and check the tech specs. Then run YAST or sax again and try new modes.

when the screen blanks like that it's because you're out of your safe area.

Another way would be going into Windows, right clicking on the desktop, and selecting properties. You can find what refresh rate and so on your monitor is using in Windows and just transfer it to Linux.

Well i found that for 1024x768 mode i require a 60Hz refresh rate. How to set this in suse.
    The sax controller gives me a vertican and horizontal range. How do i know i have reached 60Hz.

Issue resolved

I am giving out what i did so that if anyone like me browses the forums for answers and has a related problem can try them.

So what i did was that upon randomly searching the internet i found the xmode command

xmode -x 1024 -y 768 -r 60

will generate a line that can be placed in the /etc/x11/xorg.conf

Theres a better way to it too.

Upon googling things i got to know that the vertical refresh rate is the one that is the primary refresh rate for the things to be setup. So instead of the range in sax2 for vertical refresh rate i palced both the values on 60 and it works fine now.

Thanks to all for posting and helping me.