Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: what other forums do people go to?

I'm not sure why, I just think AO has been slowing down... when I first joined, there were tons of users and even more different, interesting threads. Now there're only the 'I've been hacked' or 'HELP VIRUS' that are seen - with the occassional new release of nmap posted by TH

Perhaps, it's something to do with the changing face of AO through the years.

In 2000 Dr K published a book called " a complete Hacker's Handbook" in which
    he listed about 70 websites for getting more info on that subject, AO is number
    15 on that list.

As I find it here Hacking is kind of taboo subject on AO where
    no one is allowed to openly talk about.

no one is allowed to openly talk about. [/B]
    HUH? who told you? maybe it depends on the questions of HACKING

Hi Broomie,
    no one is allowed to openly talk about.
    it's not that it's taboo...it's just that AO cannot reasonably be seen as promoting illegal activity now can it?

That would reflect badly upon JupM and it's sponsors if it was promoting illegal activity...or...giving out the instructions for those activities.

AO...even under JP was supposed to....in theory...teach you how to protect yourself from illegal activity...by knowing what they know and how to counter it.

you can still do that here...in conference rooms, in addicts, you just have to be more careful where you put it...or you could receive a bill in the mail for the sponsor you cost them.

Eg

Hmmm,

As I find it here Hacking is kind of taboo subject on AO where no one is allowed to openly talk about it.
    Actually, there isn't a forum on this site which would naturally cater for discussions about "hacking" in general. They are all "security" orientated, and tend to be quite fine in their granularity.

So, if you wanted to start a serious discussion about hacking in general you would be left with no option but to put it in a "wrong" forum.

Just my thoughts

im a senior member of http://www.security-forums.com/ the other seniors on that forum are mainly network admins and no matter what question you have they can awnser it. But your not going to see much "HOW TO HACK" there hehe

and also i find the hak.5 forums to be new but have some great members there.

if you want to talk openly about hacking then you just gotta know where to go, theres a place for everything. Binrev, hak.5 go to these sites, take some time look up past posts and follow the links that are posted there. You'll find some great links/

lol id like to see them try and bill me lol.

in order to know how to protect yourself you need to know how its done. calling it security instead of hacking doesnt make the knowledge any different.

you guys seem to have an ugly interpretation on what promotion means. providing information is one thing. telling people how to use it is another. Providing people with information that can be used for illegal purposes isnt illegal or immoral. telling people to use that knowledge for illegal purposes is where it becomes illegal and or unethical. and quite frankly, i believe that you guys telling people how to use what you wish to offer is just plain stupid. you might prefer they use info for the good of man kind, but if you wish to share that knowledge because you believe in the idea of free and open knowledge, you shouldnt be trying to direct how that information is dispensed and used.
    Geoff

you might prefer they use info for the good of man kind, but if you wish to share that knowledge because you believe in the idea of free and open knowledge, you shouldnt be trying to direct how that information is dispensed and used.
    It's called acting in a responsible and mature manner...if this was a home security site would you expect us to tell a burglar how to break into your home...or teach you how to keep him out?

Eg

Think thats the best way I've ever heard that put, Eg!

why are you given the responsibility of censoring that information? and quite frankly if you want to teach someone how to keep burglars out, you have to teach them how they can get in. the two go hand in hand, no ifs ands or buts.

you arent here to censor information, you are here to share it. the questions may be worded differently and one sentence may imply the intentions of the user, but that doesnt make it so.

Maybe its cause i believe in the freedom of information and the free use of it, but i dont see why you should try to censor what information you have. after all, you got it some how.

now that hardly means you cant be mature and responsible about it. you dont have to post **** on a forum that you know will cause problems, like a 0day you found that hasnt been patched. that might be unreasonable due to your personal ethics, but dont bind people to your ethics. Its not illegal. You sound like a religion. anal sex is a sin, w00t, who cares, dont harass the fag down the street cause you dont think its right. its not up to you and its not your problem.

now this place may have its rules, but quite honest, i havent come accross them. unless it states "no tools or information that *could* potentially be used to compromise anything, may not be posted" then mind your own business. if the rules do happen to state that, then well, i have no idea how they can even consider calling a security site. there wouldnt be anything to discuss. If you want an example, ask someone about hackers.com > you were not allowed to discuss anything potentially illegal, which meant the quality of posts and the site became dead. no advanced users, only newbies asking stupid basic questions. no one with any security knowledge with any merit posted. Thats the future for this site if that is the case with the rules here.

you guys sound like a bunch of newbies that arent unwilling to share information, but rather dont have the information to share to begin with.
    Geoff