Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Frustrating computer problem

Unhappy Frustrating computer problem

I recently got my parts to build my new computer. I put everything together and then when I turn it on I get no picture on my monitor. I figured the problem could either be the video card (PCI Express x16) or motherboard. So I purchase a new video card and when I install it, I get no picuture again. No picture at all, no BIOS screen or anything. So I figured it's a bad motherboard. So I just purchased another mobo, and the same problem, no picture. I tried both video cards and no picture. I have everything disconnected. I just have the power from the PSU to the mobo. And the video card in the PCI Express slot. I just want it to get to the BIOS screen, but no luck. What do you guys think it is? I really need help. The motherboards are both 24 pins but the PSU has a 20 pin connector. I do have the 20 pin to 24 pin converter adapter. Can this be a PSU issue? I don't see what else it could be. Help.

Is everything turning on inside your computer, all your fans etc, do you get any beeps a few seconds after you turn it on?

I have everything disconnected
    You do have your monitor plugged in dont you!

Originally posted here by Nokia
    Is everything turning on inside your computer, all your fans etc, do you get any beeps a few seconds after you turn it on?

You do have your monitor plugged in dont you!

Yeah, all fans turn on in both MOBOS. The fans on both video cards also turn on. The led lights on both mobos also turn on. And yeah, lol, the Monitor is plugged. I have tried 2 working monitors and no luck. And I get no beeps at all from either monitor, because I don't think the case has a speaker.

AOs Resident Troll
    Maybe theres a
    problem with monitor....have you tried another one....

Also check the connector on the monitor and make sure all the pins are intact...or not bent???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Originally posted here by morganlefay
    Maybe theres a
    problem with monitor....have you tried another one....

Also check the connector on the monitor and make sure all the pins are intact...or not bent???

MLF
    I have tried 2 working monitors on both video cards.
    I think it's either a bad PSU, or 2 bad video cards and 2 bad mobos. Unlikely to be 2 bad video cards and 2 bad mobos. I do use an anti-static strap.

AOs Resident Troll
    Sorry....I didnt see the above post

Dont know....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Also, how many watts is your power supply and how many amps does it have on the 12v rail?

It seems odd that your case didn't come with a speaker, I bet it did, it might be kind of hidden (mine is). If it didn't then get another case! Make sure the wireing in your case is correctly connected to the motherboard (Power switch, Power LED, Speaker, etc). Check your motherboard documentation to make sure.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Originally posted here by The Duck
    Also, how many watts is your power supply and how many amps does it have on the 12v rail?

It seems odd that your case didn't come with a speaker, I bet it did, it might be kind of hidden (mine is). If it didn't then get another case! Make sure the wireing in your case is correctly connected to the motherboard (Power switch, Power LED, Speaker, etc). Check your motherboard documentation to make sure.
    The power supply that came with the Case is a 450 watt. I think the case probably did come with a speaker because it has a wire that says speaker on it to connect to the mobo. I just can't see the speaker. The power swith wire is correctly connected because when I power it on in the back, I can turn it off and on from the front button of the case. Does all of the wireing from the front of the case have to be properly inserted in the mobo to see the picture on the monitor?

Edit: I don't hear a sound and I did plug in the speaker wire to the mobo. I hear no sound at all on either mobo.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Ok, I'm willing to bet the power supply that came with your case does not supply enough amps on the 12v rail, which is needed to power your video cards correctly. Especially 2 PCI-E video cards... Get a better quality power supply and that should solve your problem. Most power supplies that come with cases are low quality.

As for correctly connecting the case wireing, check your mobo documentation. That will tell you where to put everything...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Unhappy

Originally posted here by The Duck
    Ok, I'm willing to bet the power supply that came with your case does not supply enough amps on the 12v rail, which is needed to power your video cards correctly. Especially 2 PCI-E video cards... Get a better quality power supply and that should solve your problem. Most power supplies that come with cases are low quality.

As for correctly connecting the case wireing, check your mobo documentation. That will tell you where to put everything...

I'm on my way to buy a new PSU. Thanks. I'll post back with the news. Hopefully good news.