Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating computer problem

AFLAAACKKK!!
    That would leave the CPU, which I have a sneaking suspicion might be the culprit

What makes me say that is you are not getting any BIOS beeps. If it were the memory, you should at least get the memory error beeps. If it is the video, it should still get far enough into the post cyle to beep.
    Actually nihil, I was semi corrected by someone... Some motherboards (or most modern mobo's) will notify you of a faulty cpu. But I have encountered mobo's that will not notify you... So it depends on the bios...

I'm leaning toward a construction error on your part somewhere... A good test to see if you had all the case wiring correct (power switch, power LED, speaker, etc) would have been to pull out the ram to see if you get the continuous beeping...

All in all, I admit I jumped on the 12v rail issue instead of keeping an open mind... ...

It doesn't matter now, but you sure you had all the case/speaker wireing correct? Did you check your motherboard documentation? It's bugging the hell out of me ...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Talking

I'm pretty sure I had the wiring right. I did look at the mobo documentation. I tried them in all possible combinations, lol. Turninig it off and on. Turning the wiring around back and forth. And still nothing, zilch, nada.
    Do you guys think Intel will let me return the processor and mobo to them.

PS. Thanks to all of you guys that tried to help.

I tried them in all possible combinations, lol. Turninig it off and on. Turning the wiring around back and forth
    That could be where you went wrong!!

Just try putting the power switch one on and see if it works properly, if it does, then add the speaker one, then the HDD LED, etc etc, if when you add one the problem arises again, you will have your culprit!

I would lean say 80% towards a coonstruction error, however I have had cases in the past where I have bought and taken back three consecutive pieces of the same hardware before getting one that actually works!

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Just try putting the power switch one on and see if it works properly, if it does, then add the speaker one, then the HDD LED, etc etc, if when you add one the problem arises again, you will have your culprit!
    Well, a wiring issue wouldn't cause the video cards to not work... What we needed was the post beeps to see if the post test was reporting errors...
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

It could be shorting things out if its not connected properly though

Hopefully Intel lets me return the Intel mobo and the Pentium D procesor. Do you guys think they'll let me return it? What's a good excuse so they can give me my money back? Thanks
    Hey if they won't give you your money back I'll take it, I'll take it :-D :-p (I love free stuff)

But slightly off topic (since, to me, it's pretty obvious that he's returning everything and no longer looking for a solution) I have a question just in case I encounter a problem like this myself when I build mine, what does the CPU have to do with the monitor not turning on? Does the mobo screen not appear when the CPU is improperly seated (if that is possible, i never put a processor greater than P2 in)?
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

The CPU controlls all the buses on the MoBo and the clock (timing) of them all, if its not doing its job properly, things like this often happen!

//when you build yours, if you cant get your heatsink on, you may have an incorrectly fitted CPU! Just give it a big push!

I am not sure about the very latest MoBo/BIOS combinations, but with slightly older stuff you won't get any bleeps if the CPU is dead.

Now, you may get the monitor test screen or a "connection not detected" on it. Another possibility is that the monitor detects that it is connected to a computer, so doesn't show anything at all.

I guess if I thought it was a build issue and I couldn't figure it, I would get a friend to look at it, on the theory of "a fresh pair of eyes and a fresh mind"

I have done the same for a couple of friends of mine because I usually have spare components that we can use in troubleshooting.

It might just be me, but there seems to be more defective stuff being shipped these days?

//when you build yours, if you cant get your heatsink on, you may have an incorrectly fitted CPU! Just give it a big push!
    Give the CPU or the Heatsink a big push? From what I understand the heatsinks now-a-days fit very snuggly in the slot and easy to put in
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Yeah. The pentium d and heatsink I had were really easy to put into the motherboards. They were just 4 little plastic screw things that went into some holes in the mobo.
    Hmmm... I probably had a bad CPU.