Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended VPN clients?

Recommended VPN clients?

I've been using Windows VPN client with my Server 2003 server, man that sounded funny, but will be switching to a router that has VPN client software already built into the IOS. The only problem I'm having now is that the router is BYOC, "Bring Your Own Client", and I read on some other forums that users were having a hard time getting Window's VPN Client to work.

I don't get the router here for another week, so I have some time to find some client software. Someone told me to look into Cisco, which I will later today, but I do know that Cisco is pretty expensive and my budget isn't very much.

What are you all using or what would you recommend?

I don't personally use it (well, not much anyway), but UltraVNC, RealVNC and TightVNC tend to be top hits in my experience. (Especially the first and last)

I'd go with UltraVNC - I've used it before and it's pretty good. Try it out...

Cheers,

-jk

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Well, it would be nice to know what sort of router. I am guessing its Cisco, since you said IOS, but that could be wrong on many levels. Clients have a lot to do with the gateways they are connecting to. More details would help us help you.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

I got the term IOS burned in my brain because of those Cisco classes I took years ago. I guess that's the only thing I remebered.

I'm picking up a LINKSYS RV082 10/100Mbps 8-Port VPN Router.

linksys has their own

i've used the linksys vpn client with the RVxxx series vpn routers works well.

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satel...VisitorWrapper

its the vpn utility.

It's funny how Linksys doesn't include the VPN client with the router. I"m just hoping I can use it and not have to pay anything extra. I would just use the Windows version, but then having VPN on the router would be pointless. I would have just looked for VPN passthrough, IPSec Passthrough and PPTP passthrough. It's kinda funny, I've ran into all three, but I would have figured the VPN passthrough would count for both of them.

UltraVNC, RealVNC and TightVNC? Aren't those remote access tools? I didn't think they were VPN's.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

Originally posted here by brokencrow
    UltraVNC, RealVNC and TightVNC? Aren't those remote access tools? I didn't think they were VPN's.

I was wondering the same thing. No one brought it up, so I figured it must have some type of VPN functionality.

lol. No, I'm sure that guy was just confused. At a quick glance I oftem confuse VPN and VNC. They are totally different technologies and not really related.

I just grabbed these definitions from Wikipedia.

VPN, is a private communications network usually used within a company, or by several different companies or organizations, to communicate over a public network. VPN message traffic is carried on public networking infrastructure (e.g. the Internet) using standard (often insecure) protocols, or over a service provider's network providing VPN service guarded by well defined Service Level Agreement (SLA) between the VPN customer and the VPN service provider.

Virtual Network Computing (VNC) is a desktop sharing system which uses the RFB (Remote FrameBuffer) protocol to remotely control another computer. It transmits the keyboard presses and mouse clicks from one computer to another relaying the screen updates back in the other direction, over a network. ...[it is platform independent].
    "Do you know why the system is slow?" they ask

"It's probably something to do with..." I look up today's excuse ".. clock speed"
    -BOFH

Check out Hamachi for a VPN.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers