Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Error accessing GPO

I have uninstalled ISA from the DC
    But still the Policies are not accessible neither is the sysvol share
    You can close your eyes to what you donot want to see,
    But you cannot close your heart to what you donot want to feel.

Ok ...for what it's worth ...I've had similar situation once ... The only thing that solved the problem (I mean really solved, because I tried the repair/reinstall over previous thing as well) was a complete reinstall of the server, starting from scratch .

Before that you could check if the rights on the folders are altered by something ...it would be handy to have another domain controller tht actually works to compare the security settings on the sysvol folder and the gpt.ini ...I've experimented back then with replacing the security on every folder of the system volume ...giving the admin and system account and some others I can't remember full rights... that didn't help ...so by way of experiment I then gave the everyone group full access on all folders ...after that it worked (obviously I hear you say ).

Well anyway ...a complete rebuild of the server and AD did the trick for me... After trying all other articles, tricks and other stuff I could find on the internet and through Technet.

Just my 2.c

.C.
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

What does your event viwer show? Can you post errors with their eventid?
    In a meantime what about getting the latest service pack? Microsoft
    suggest upgrading service pack to resolve this issue. Maybe take a look
    in here http://support.microsoft.com/?id=842804
    Or you might want to do what cemetric suggested and reinstall.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

I had earlier itself done a reinstall but the problem didnot go

How do u want me to post the event log, only some specific events or the whole log

I will see about the SP1 let me get it

ISA 2004 if not configured properly will block local subnet SMB/NETBIOS traffic, which will cause the problem you're having since GPO locations are referenced through SMB shares.

The problem is resolved
    I had put the DFS service in manual mode
    So it was stopped
    After putting it in automatic mode The policy objects are accessible

Thanks bAgZ and everyone for their help

How does DFS affect the policy object.
    Any article out there which details relationship between DFS and the sysvol folder

Greetings...

DFS is required. FRS is required. You should never poke around the SYSVOL share by hand.

I can't find any good articles at the moment, but that pretty much sums it up. You really don't want to break SYSVOL.

In general, you shouldn't be poking random services in Windows 2003 anyway -- the default config is about right for once. If you do want to disable other stuff, look into the Security Configuration Wizard in SP1. That will disable stuff based on what you're using it for, and more importantly give you an easy way to back out the changes if you forget about something and it breaks it.