Thread: "Gray Hat Hacking" - Has anyone read this book?

Question "Gray Hat Hacking" - Has anyone read this book?

Hello -

I was looking through the IT books today and came across a book published in 2004 called "Grey Hat Hacking", which details the different type vulnerability assessments and penetration testing, with some discussion on tools and defenses against hacking. It looked interesting and I was just wondering if anyone here has a read of it:

ISBN: 0-07-225709-1

From Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007...lance&n=283155

AO Member Tony Bradley's review - he recommends it btw:

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/7/fr/aabrgrayhat.htm

If someone or two or three others have read it as well- was it worth buying or is most of that information available via Google or other sources? If it helps, I'm an IT Auditor that is also charged with performing internal penetration testing. Also - are there other books you have come across that would help me hone my skills as an auditor and pen tester? Always looking for great material.

Thanks in advance!
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Network Security Assessment : Know Your Network by Chris McNab is the one I commonly suggest.

I don't know anything about the Gray Hat book. It sounds ok, I simply have some sort of personal reaction to that terminology, "Gray Hat". I'm not criticizing, just stating that we need to be careful with labels.

Hats are obvious, behavior isn't. And what is white to one person may be gray to another.
    -- Eugene H. Spafford "Spaf"
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Network Security Assessment : Know Your Network by Chris McNab is the one I commonly suggest.

I don't know anything about the Gray Hat book. It sounds ok, I simply have some sort of personal reaction to that terminology, "Gray Hat". I'm not criticizing, just stating that we need to be careful with labels.
    Thanks for the feedback zencoder! I will check out that book as well. I agree, labels, especially when trying to sell a book or service immediately sounds suspicious. However, I did want to try and give it the benefit of doubt, and forego my usual cynicism. An interesting point on this particular book - it has many contributors - which can be both good and bad, and which I was hoping it might make it a worthy read.

Thanks again!
    \"We\'re the middle children of history.... no purpose or place. We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our great war is a spiritual war. Our great depression is our lives. We\'ve all been raised by television to believe that one day we\'ll all be millionaires and movie gods and rock stars -- but we won\'t. And we\'re learning slowly that fact. And we\'re very, very pissed off.\" - Tyler (Brad Pitt) Fight Club.