Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help, no email.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Nope... Something else is wrong... The SMTP server does not believe that your computer is allowed to send mail out. Call the owner of the server to fix the problem.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

I don't understand, I am with Nildram, and they provide us with a static IP as far as I am aware, they are not a mail server, that is down to my computer is it not. If what you say is right though, who do I contact, because our service provider as I said just supplies our internet connection?????

Very confused now

Jonny Frowned
    Sarcasm is a way of life

I think I have sussed it.

If I were to be linked up to a different wireless connection, from someone elses houes by mistake, that would stop it and make your post (Tiger Shark) suddenly a very useful post.

Thanks, you've cracked it. Cheers mate

Frondly Frond
    Sarcasm is a way of life

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Very confused now
    So am I actually... But it's not the first time...

The server believes that your desktop is allowed to pass mail through it but it doesn't believe your notebook is allowed even though they both should, (technically), be coming from the same IP address.... Silly question... You sure that the notebook isn't connected to a wireless network that you don't own?

Best bet is still to contact the owner of your mailserver and ask them after explaining the situation... After all, it's their mail server telling you you can't do something.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    Most mail servers will not accept mail from people not on their network....or will require some authentication.

Also some mail providers will block certain domains...known to allow spamming??

the error message is from thier server...thinking that you are trying to relay from another domain.

Are both computers using the same ISP for internet access????

Reset all your settings....passwords....my smtp server requires authentication....etc

MLF

edit> looks like TS and I were replying at the same time...
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

OK, here goes:

I have a bloody stupid wireless dongly thing on my desktop, and wish I didn't.

The guy that set up our network is a big fat man who has been into it since I was in short trousers, and thinks he has done a good job.

I've seen him do the washing up once, so I don't beleive him. But I have to work around it if I can.

Our wirless network does not appear on the windows wireless networks list, but two others do, and I was connected to one of them, but when I unchecked the "automatically connect even if it is not the prefferred network" I could see from the wireless connection status, that I was connected.

So I tried the browser, and it just did the resolving thing again, which it always did before my fat mate changed the channel, so I wandered off, came back, and there it was all connection fine, and now I can email too.

So simply put, I was connected to the wrong network, so most likely a different ISP without knowing. Incidentally, is there a way to find out what ISP you are connected to if say you take advantage of a wireless network in a pub or cafe that is becoming trendy these days??

I'd give you anti points, but apparently I have to spread the love first, but thanks very usefull

Lets just be Fronds
    Sarcasm is a way of life

AOs Resident Troll
    Drop to a command line and type tracert www.google.com

That will give you the hops it takes to get to google......the first one will be the wireless access...then should be the ISPs routers....

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer