Thread: Question about Wireless Access Point?

Question about Wireless Access Point?

I have a wireless access point, i have its MAC address but how can i find out what the wireless access point's IP address is? I need it to HTTP in and change some settings. The WAP is a cisco aironet 1100

Who originally set up the access point? They should have the IP information that will allow you to access it via HTTP...

Also, I'm thinking that I had a utility a while back that would translate a MAC addy to an IP addy - I'll take a look and see if I can find it.....

EDIT: If you are running a Windows based PC and your PC is connecting to the network via the wireless AP, issue the following command from the command-line: "arp -a" - that should show you the IP address of the access point....
    - Maverick

If you are connected to it then in 2k/xp goto start, run and type cmd and in there type ipconfig and the gateway is it's ip otherwise if you use windows 9x type winipcfg in run

nope gateway still points to the default gateway for the network (which isnt the AP)

Originally posted here by tinu_karki
    nope gateway still points to the default gateway for the network (which isnt the AP)

If you have access to a PC that is connected to the access point, have you tried my 'arp -a' suggestion?
    - Maverick

Banned
    Try 10.0.0.1 - if that doesn't work, follow Maveric's suggestion (get a CAT cable, plug it into the thing, and do an "arp -a").

You will also find needed info concerning conneting to the device from here, since the default settings on the device will likely need to be changed.
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...5.html#wp10004

Hi guys all sorted now........mav your suggestion worked thnx. Saved me from resetting the access points and configuring it all over again......thnx again

Did someone said Pizza :) FanacooL's Avatar
    I thought its interesting how you solve the problem, i mean other could benefit from this too if you could tell us what procedures you followed ?
    One machine can do the work of fifty ordinary men. No machine can do the work of one extraordinary man!