Thread: E-mail internet headers

E-mail internet headers

Hi everyone

I use Outlook 2003 and know that I can view the e-mail internet headers of the message by opening the message then View>Options. That gives the details of the IP address etc. of the PC from which the message was sent.

If I receive a message which has been forwarded to several people in succession, are all the other intermediary e-mail internet headers also hidden somewhere within the message? If so, how can I access them? I'm only interested in this for curiosity.

Thanks in advance.

Not as far as I know. I often peruse email headers just for kicks, but I've never been able glean headers for any of the previously forwarded mail.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

AOs Resident Troll
    AFAIK

You will only see the headers from your mail server......

when it got it, who its for,what server sent it, what server received it, when it was sent, when it was received where it came from, etc................and receipients in the "to:"

Not sure if BCC and CC show up

Anyway...you wont see anyone else info unless they are also in the "to:"....hence you should not see other peoples mail server headings....

Make sense???

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    When mail servers handle mail on transit they are required to prepend their information to the headers of every mail they are dealing with. However, mail clients are not. When an email with headers is forwarded the client copies the relevant information, (subject, body etc.) to a new email and sends it on it's way where the mail servers then prepend their date. This is why you won't see the prior headers.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AOs Resident Troll
    I didnt know that...

Learn something new everyday

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

Thanks to everyone. I guessed that may be the case, but just wondered if something may have been hidden deeply within the message.

Just Another Geek
    If you setup outlook via Tools->Options. Tab Preferences, button E-mail options. There you'll find "On replies and forwards". Below that there are some options. If outlook is setup to "Attach original message" then when you forward/reply an email the entire email will be attached as an EML file. This EML file will contain all headers including the received: headers..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

That's great. I'll look at the Outlook settings.