Thread: affiliatetarget.com browser hijack

affiliatetarget.com browser hijack

Not sure if anyone has seen this one before but I come into work today and got this really annoying browser hijack thing going on. I get insane pop-ups randomly from "affiliatetarget.com and a couple other servey sites, close one and two more jump up to fill its place. I have to close out IE all together from the task list.

spybot search and destroy, adware, and spysweeper do nothing.

???

Hi there ills,

I had the same problem but with a different hijack, but read this article, print it out, or have it up in a different computer once you have all the tools it gives you.

Cleaning a pest infected computer

It is the most comprehensive guide I have seen, and this does seem to be a common question.

As well as those tools that it gives you, though, I would recomend Crap Cleaner

and when it gets to the bit that says "BEFORE YOU BEGIN - Empty Temporary Internet Files" run the cleaner part of the program, I would leave the reg errors for now.

and also get this too ewidow and run this while you are doing the safe mode scans. It might promp you to for action while you scan, just oblige, it should be fine.

Don't be tempted to run Spybot in safe mode, it is not designed to.

Once you have all the logs you might encounter, there are people here who are good with the logs and can help you with them. They are true wizards.

Once you have dealt with the problem, consider using a different browser from IE if that is possible in your place of work. Mozilla firefox seems to be the weapon of choice, and once you have done got the necessary plug ins (I think there are about two which you will be prompted for as you use it) then I personally find it nicer to use than IE anyway. No index.dat file to have to think about.

Have I covered most things chaps??

Jonny Flond
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Re: affiliatetarget.com browser hijack

Originally posted here by illischillis
    Not sure if anyone has seen this one before but I come into work today and got this really annoying browser hijack thing going on. I get insane pop-ups randomly from "affiliatetarget.com and a couple other servey sites, close one and two more jump up to fill its place. I have to close out IE all together from the task list.

spybot search and destroy, adware, and spysweeper do nothing.

???
    Would like to just add that once you have cleaned up the PC, you might want to consider using a MVPS HOSTS file I use it and the link to that website won't work in either Firefox or IE, as it is listed as an undesireable.

What's a HOSTS file??? understanding what a HOSTS file will do.

Then read How did I get Infected in the first place???
    PC Registered user # 2,336,789,457...

"When the water reaches the upper level, follow the rats."
    Claude Swanson

Yup, IE is bad. Unfortunately I don't have any admin. rights what so ever. I can't install anything new and am stuck with what I got. Someone with alittle more pull will be here later to clean it up. I just wanted to try and delete it. Its so annoying.

this is the third time ive tried to post this reply

you covered it jonny