Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Linux AV?

Good Linux AV?

What's a good AV for Linux? This is for a home PC. Search didn't bring up too many results.

you might try the Linux section at tucows.com... I haven't ever really woried about getting a virus running linux... most of them seem to exploit holes primarily in windows... I guess if the user base for Linux grows, we will see more malicious software for it... but right now, I don't think it is a huge target... that is not to say that AV is unnecessary though..
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

there isn't really a good review section for the downloads on tucows.com. I was wondering if anyone has any experience with any of them? I know there arn't many virus for linux out, but I'd rather be safe than sorry

I would advise you to do a google search and educate yourself on this topic before you spend any money.

http://www.johannrain-softwareentwic...linux_free.htm

You might try this link. Looks like it's free. I never have used any anti-virus on Linux myself, so I can't recommend anything.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Originally posted here by preacherman481
    I would advise you to do a google search and educate yourself on this topic before you spend any money.
    i don't want to spend money

anyone have any experience with ClamAV?

If you look at AV for Linux 99% of what it detects are Windows OS specific. You generally only have an AV to protect Windows boxes you might connect to.

Most of the malware would neither run nor propagate from a linux box so the main objective is to prevent you relaying infected stuff that originated from a Windows box. It is common to have one on a linux mail server which has Windows clients, for example.

Here is one you might like to try:

http://www.bitdefender.com/site/Main...-Products.html

I have been using clamav for the last year and a half. I am very happy with it and its easy
    to install plus on my servers it works great with Qmail for scaning and stoping all emails
    with viruses.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

Does clamAV deetect rootkits or do you need to stick to a program such as rkhunter or chkrootkit?

Hey spamdies

"Sometimes they do, then sometimes they don't"

I have a fair range of "malware generators"...............if the AV/AM spots them then I can be pretty certain that they will spot anything spawned by them.............if the generator is not spotted, then you can bet that its progeny will not be either

Banned
    clamwin is a good AV, but i dont know about rootkits....if its for linux at least. theres rootkit problems in linux? theres a program for windows called rootkit revealer written by a guy who got pissed off at sony for installing rootkits when he got cd's from BMG i believe.