Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Linux AV?

ClamAV is strictly a signature based scanner. It will compare given files to a database of signatures and does nothing more.

Unless they had a major update I didn't know about!

Clamav does not detect rootkits as far as i have noticed. I use rkhunter for that.
    And to make things easier i setup cron jobs to run all the updates. Like i said
    i am quite happy with the results so far.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

Yes, clamav would be the best way to go.
    And as for rootkits its best to stick with chkrookit/rkhunter
    This ain\'t about me im better them you\'ll ever be. You dont concern me i know you\'ll never get to me. You want a shot? I can take your best bring it on. - Slayer
    Gentoo Linux

Good Morning

The OP is about 2 months hold so let's hope he's decided by now.

Anyway, I opt to keep them separate. If I desire to check for rootkits, then I chase them down with a program made specifically for that. Obviously as Trent has mentioned chkrookit/rkhunter are good choices. As for AV's I have tested a few and installed a few as well. The link describes four of the many (F-prot, Panda, Avast!, and AVG). Hope it helps.

Linux Antivirus Programs - Home User

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I went with avast.

I tried clamAV for a while, but switched over.

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    Normally its not good to open up a thread again that has had flashing dates since it is considered an "old thread" but, since you are the one who started the thread and you are posting results of your thread its ok. So I guess basically im trying to say thanks for coming back and letting us know what you decided.
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted

Is it even necessary?

Is it even necessary?
    No, it's not necessary but it can be a nice courtesy. And I think that in cases where an OP is asking for technical help (My sound card isn't working? What should I do?) it's even more appropriate. It helps people know if their solution was effective. It's also nice to say "thanks" if people have gone to a good bit of trouble to help you.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Originally posted here by tinker
    Is it even necessary?

I didn't re-open the thread, Two more people added replies and I got an e-mail about it so I replied with an update. Look at the dates.

I appreciate all the help and info I got from this thread, if someone else has something to add, who cares if it is two months old? It's not hurting anyone.

Can someone tell me why Trent82 received Greenies for that post???