Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Computer Cracker

Computer Cracker

A computer hacker only exploits systems to discover how they work, computer Cracker's are people who lack any real knowledge on computer systems and use a tactic called "Brute Force Hacking", both better and usually termed "Brute force cracking" to gain access to systems and then damage them.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Despite the fact you are quite mislead....

What, exactly, was the point of that?
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

hrmm

Well how would you define it?

More so I should ask. what exactly is the difference between a Hacker and a Cracker. I read about it on some old tutorial so I was hopin to get some clarification.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Hackers tend to do things for interest without harm.

Crackers may be equally talented or more so as a hacker but do things with harm in mind...

That's the short story as written by me... Others may vary...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Hacker's find clever ways to circumvent problems. Also they aquire knowledge more through 'tinkering' and trial and error. The media has demonized the term, and anymore anyone that commits a crime with a computer, no matter how little skill was involved, is labled a hacker. Tiger Shark is right, hackers usually do not have malicious intent. If so, there is a totally different term for them... 'Criminals' ... Hacking is about as illegal as shooting a gun... it all depends on where you point it.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

It really all depends on who you are talking to. A cracker could mean one thing from person and something totally different from anybody else.

For example, in the military, a cracker might be someone who "cracks" code. If someone is in the South of the United States, they might be a cracker, however it has racial connotations.

I guarantee this thread could go on for days with people giving their explanation of what they call a hacker vs. what they call a cracker.

Might I suggest the “AO Hacker Jargon” definitions as potentially viable answers to this problem?? Here is the AO definition for HACKER and CRACKER.

-Deeboe

P.S. I'm always a cracker, unless I was smoking the night before. At that point, I become a hacker.
    If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
    - Sun Tzu, The Art of War

http://tazforum.**********.com/

*L* yeah, a hacker can be someone that is terrible at golf too...
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

Ok, well my definition is

A hacker is someone that is interested in computers in a more anarchistic or alternative way. Unconventional if you like, finding ways into computer places that they have been told they can't get to.

A cracker is like a dry biscuit that you eat with cheese, commonly called a waterbiscuit. there are many good manufacturers around, Jacobs being a very popular brand.

Ultimately, is this a thread trying to difine the term, because it really does seem that there has not been a definite definition?

Proffessor Frond
    Sarcasm is a way of life

lol omg not another "hacker/cracker" debate.
    This debate has been goin on for years and years... i thought we all decided to resolve this by not using those terms anymore, and just use "white hat/black hat"

in the sense, they can both be just as intelligent or more.. but it only differs in the intention..
    IF u want a term for someone who has no skill and bent on causing damage.. then a "Script Kiddie" would be a good terminology. Someone who 5p33k5 1337 and uses scripts made by someone else to bully ppl around.