Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: first mac virus

why would anyone want to write viruses, or any kind of malware for that matter, for Apple? I mean, aren't they supposed to be in good standing with the world like Linux?
    This is actually a very interesting sociological question.

My thinking is that there are bozos who will cause damage wherever they can. They are "vandals" and wreck bus shelters, telephone kiosks and so on. Although they are brain dead morons, they do have their IT counterparts.

Then there are people who take a stance against Bill Gates, Microsoft, big business or whatever. That makes them a "target" it is a sort of Luddite or anarchist revolution.

Then there are those who do it for profit, or because their government employs them to do it. This might be on the side of good or evil (however you personally choose to define those concepts)

And their are social deviants who didn't have enough sh1t beaten out of them in their youth. They think that it makes them "important" and somehow compensates for their totally defective personalities.

AppleMac and Linux are not targeted per se, because they are either not big enough or not commercial enough, but they do provide a route to attack Windows.

Please remember that their are proof of concept activities which are not always discussed in the forums of "learned security sites" I am certain that the ultimate target is still Windows.

And those who do it for research/academic interest I put in the class of those who do it for "profit" because they gain knowledge and/or amusement. I guess practical jokes, political/religious statements and the like fall into that category as well.

Just my £0.02

Re: first mac virus

Originally posted here by unvi$ible
    hi,
    today read
    http://australianit.news.com.au/arti....html?from=rss

I heard. Was only a matter of time. Popularity is always security's antidote.

It isn't a virus regardless of what Sophos says. It is only malware.

This is very, very far from the first Mac virus. I refer you back to the Original Mac, Fat Mac, Mac II, 6300 (bomb) and other Mac platforms since, all running the various Mac OS versions up to and including 9.x. Virii and worms ran rampant in those OSs for years, especially after those Macs were connected to the internet. I spend many days cleaning malware from Macs. Macs have been targets in the past, and definitely will be again.

For some reason, everyone is restarting the count with Mac OS X. Revisionism lives.

Unfortunately, it won't take very sophisticated Mac malware to plunk the majority of Mac users on their collective, complacent butts, since they insist the Mac is "secure by default" and the Mac store sales droids still tell users they don't need anti-virus, firewalls, or need to worry like windows users.

first mac

The title says it all My first system was a PowerBook 5300c. I miss those times when the Internet was not the main reason to get a computer. OS 8 was very sophisticated for its time. Anyway, what was your first Mac system, and do you still have it?

Friend of Site Staff
    Most of the stuff hitting MACs now is malware
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac is what I use to clean them up.
    https://www.malwarebytes.org/antimalware/mac/

Strictly speaking, a trojan is an executable that appears to do one thing but does something else as well.

Viruses and Misleading Consumers

On my own Mac laptop it has prompted me to download applications that are supposed to scan my laptop for viruses or security breeches, but once downloaded those applications are what actually load viruses and malware. Many people are being mislead thinking that they are going to be protecting their information, when they are actually putting it at risk. This also relates to the companies that say they will find out vulnerabilities of other companies by hacking them. But once they do so, they have access to that companies information, so it can be hard to be sure that the secure information isn't being stolen that way.

I remember getting infected with both WDEF.A and WDEF.B on my MacPlus when I was trying to install a friend's copy of Dark Castle...oh what fun it was reinstalling OS6!

Apple/Mac community always had so called proof of concept virus or whatever you called, which are released under specific target in mind. And that has being there since the early days of Apple II. you still find one of those once a while especially on Academic setting.