Will Windows Vista Improvements Hurt Linux?

Thread: Will Windows Vista Improvements Hurt Linux?

Question Will Windows Vista Improvements Hurt Linux?

Hi,
    Apparently Windows Vista includes some new security improvements. One of these is the fact that it will be easier to run as a regular user instead of as an Administrator. This seems like a good change as far as security goes. Also, IE 7 is supposed to be improved. Apparently MS has adopted some features from Firefox. Also, I believe that the builtin firewall is enabled by default now. If Microsoft has really improved its security and its browser, do you think they will "put a hurting" on Linux?

see this link
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Where I live, most people drive chevys. The subaru is a much
    better car, but only has a small market share. Whenever the chevy
    has some new improvement, subaru drivers don't run out and trade
    their trusty subaru in for a chevy. Vista will not have an effect on
    Linux users. As long as Vista comes preinstalled on the emachine
    you buy at Wallmart, people will use it, figuring "I paid for the OS,
    why bother to change to something else?" Ask a subaru owner what he
    thinks of chevies. LOL
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Good analogy. And those of us who have and use both cars frequently; any progress made individually, will benefit us regardless
    Connection refused, try again later.

Vista would have to be good enough to convert Linux users to windows in order to hurt linux and that's just not going to happen.

In fact a lot of features from Vista are taken from other programs, most of which open source. Take IE7 for example. It's almost identical to Firefox. The Aero skin is very similar to WM themes in linux.

Probably the most important thing to consider is that Linux was not made to compete with Windows. If anything, it competes with Unix. Most linux users use linux because they can do exactly that; use it. It's usually not because they're anti-Microsoft. If they have no problems using it now, they're certainly not going to ditch a fully capable OS that's free for one that isn't.
    yup

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Vista will not have an effect on Linux users.
    Quite correct... But that doesn't answer the question asked.

If what is said is true it could hurt _Linux_. Because it could dissuade people from changing from Windows OS's to Linux itself thus preventing them from gaining ground in the overall installed base. The more MS can prevent "leakage" towards the alternative OS's then the more it "wins".
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Yes, good points and comments from everyone so far. I know that I am dual booting with Fedora Core and Windows XP, but I am working toward the day when I will have the option of just deleting Windows if I want to.

I really wasn't thinking that Linux would lose many (if any) regular (read, die hard) users who have been running Linux for very long. But I do wonder about people who are marginal--by this I mean those people who would switch from Windows if they had a good enough reason, for example, continued virus problems and other security vulnerabilities. Those were the people I was thinking about. If the security (virus, browser, other vulnerabilities) is better on Vista than it has been on previous releases, this could be one less point which Linux advocates would have to entice Windows users to make the switch.

(Note*** By my last comment, I don't want to be unfair to Microsoft. Every operating system has had and will continue to have security vulnerabilities, Linux included. I have read where some of the security problems on WIndows have been made worse by less than informed and dlilligent users. This would be people running as Administrator when they really don't need to be doing it. Clicking on e-mail attachments from strangers, etc. To be fair, let me soften what I said above -- It seems there is at least a "perceived" security problem on Windows. Certainly, I think Windows have suffered a great deal more negative press in regard to viruses than Linux has.)

Actually, because of some things I've read on the net, Windows Vista make give Linux a chance to pick up some people. There may be a good many people who will have to buy a new computer if they want to run Vista because of the increased demands on hardware and memory. It's possible some people might choose to use Linux to keep an older box going longer.

[
    If what is said is true it could hurt _Linux_. Because it could dissuade people from changing from Windows OS's to Linux itself thus preventing them from gaining ground in the overall installed base. The more MS can prevent "leakage" towards the alternative OS's then the more it "wins".
    Yes, this is what I was talking about above. The risk isn't that Linux would lose many "die hard" users but that those "on the edge" in the home user and corporate worlds would be influenced not to change.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)