Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my sound is weird!

Intel 8201, maybe?

Hi,

Please get this tool. It is a limited trial but it should give you details of your motherboard and chipset:

http://www.lavalys.com/products/down...?pid=3&lang=en

You seem to be using AC97. Unfortunately that uses a variety of codecs so we need more specific hardware information.

In the meantime, if you can borrow an old PCI audio card and try that, it should confirm if it is your onboard audio that is the problem.

What operating system are you using BTW?

Ok, I downloaded the program. What do you need to know? This is what's listed under audio adapter:

Analog Devices AD1980 @Intel 82801DB ICH4 - AC'97 Audio Controller [B-0]

I'm using XP Pro

Hah! we are getting there

What is the make and model of the MoBo?

The name of the mobo is Intel Blue Mountain 2 D845PEBT2, and the chipset is Intel Brookdale i845PE.

Please check that you are set up like this:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherb.../cs-010632.htm

You need to use the rear line out connector.

As that is a fairly old board, I don't suppose there are any upgrades to the firmware.

So, I suspect that the 5.1 (6channel) and PC (2channel) setup may be the issue. When you use multichannel speaker systems, they give you stereophonic sound, but they also produce a kind of three dimensional effect (surround sound).

My guess is that the main channels used for voice/dialogue are not functioning properly. Now, you will get some "background" sound out of the subwoofer and other speakers, as this enhances the 3-D effect, but the two speakers that should give you the volume are not doing their job.

The fact that you mentioned that you had never had surround sound working properly confirms this perhaps?

My thinking is that you should start by making sure that your speaker array is wired up correctly. The try moving them as far apart as you can and playing:

1. A music CD
    2. A video CD
    3. A music DVD
    4. A video DVD

Please note which speakers are giving out sound, and at what volume.

If there is a software application to control your sound, please look at the settings in it, particularly if it has an "advanced" mode/menu

Then take a look in: <start>, <settings>, <control panel>, <sounds & multimedia> or whatever that is called in XP (I am on a Win 2000 box right now)

Click on the "Audio" tab at the top and let me know what you are trying to use for audio playback and Midi. I have Avance AC 97 Audio and Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, but this only has two PC speakers. Please look at the alternative options for those two, and let me know what they are.

Finally, from the Control Panel, go into <hardware > and <device manager> and check your audio components to see that they are all reported as functioning properly.