Thread: wireless security

Banned

wireless security

im getting wireless cable tomorrow and im totally new to it, however im going to be running 3 comps on it: windows98se, my main winxp/dual boot debian soon, and a comp im gonna buy which i plan on putting smoothwall on. does anyone have any tut's on hardening wireless security and ipv6 (i have no idea how to do ipv6). this is a real problem and i dont want a bunch of spam in this thread, only real info please. all the techies on this site are welcome to post links to your tut's since im a little too busy to search for them because im researching other things. all help is appreciated just dont assign negs, im tired of them (thanks MsM) hmmmmmmmmmffffffff

Well it's good you have learnt quickly how to make friends here!

Jonny Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam
    Sarcasm is a way of life

Ugh, you're might get a proprietary wireless router from the cable company. The setup I've seen from RoadRunner was a Netgear router made specifically from them. Unlike other wireless routers, I've never been able to get it to work on another ISP. I don't have the model in front of me and am unable to tell you little more than that.

As for the Smoothwall, you will only draw limited benefit from it. The primary security risk you're looking at is campers on your cloud. A Smoothie won't help you there. Be sure to set up WPA if you want to lower your risk profile and keep those campers at bay. There's a few different ways you can do security on a wireless network, you might check out some other posts and/or tutorials.
    “Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.” — Will Rogers

LOL, was he banned because of this thread?!?

Originally posted here by Nokia
    LOL, was he banned because of this thread?!?
    LOL, because he's in love....

to JohnyFrond (joke)

to JohnyFrond (joke)
    Well I seem to be getting a reputation here, I will sign autographs, just let me know, and I will give my paypal details where you can send the money.

Yours with Star Quality

the one and only Jonny Frondtastic

Hey guys this is so good for my ego. It'd be good if I could leave some technical info eh?
    Sarcasm is a way of life