the weirdest thing ive ever heard..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the weirdest thing ive ever heard..

Blast From the Past

the weirdest thing ive ever heard..

hello all

im pretty good with hardware.. so i can usualy figure out whats wrong... untill now

i play Eve Online alot.. and i mean ALOT.... multiple hours a night
    *hexadecimal01 for thoes who play*

and whenver i boot up that game.. something in my computer starts squeaking

sounds like a fan kinda.. but it might be my hard drive... some grinding noise... faint

as soon as i close that game it goes away

its not soundeffects.. turned off speakers and its still there

noise doesnt happen when i navigate the folder... so i dont think the hdd is getting bad from overuse in that area

do you suppose eve might turn up the fans alittle? causing one of them to sqeak?

il keep checking whats wrong.. but this is just plain odd
    work it harder, make it better, do it faster, makes us stronger

AO Senior Cow-beller
    Do you have an internal PC speaker? not on a sound card, but the "system beep" speaker? Try disconnecting it.

It's a long shot, but you may have some code or something in the game .exe that is causing that to make some sounds. *shrug* sounds goofy to me, but I've seen weirder.
    "Data is not necessarily information. Information does not necessarily lead to knowledge. And knowledge is not always sufficient to discover truth and breed wisdom." --Spaf
    Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made president should on no account be allowed to do the job. --Douglas Adams (1952-2001)
    "...people find it far easier to forgive others for being wrong than being right." - Albus Percival Wulfric Brian Dumbledore

Howdy.

I had a box that used to do the same thing when ever i would boot up a game, anyhow it turned out to be the PSU, making the squeal type sound.

swap the psu with another and see if the squeak sound goes away. If it doesn't then leave your your case open and load up the game and try to listen to where the noise is coming from. if you can pinpoint the area then you will have an idea on what might be making the noise..

cheers
    front2back

Blast From the Past
    no internal speaker... i think it might be my video card fan

i have a nice one that when it warms up it automatiacly steps up the fan some... eve is a graphic intensive game.. well.. somewhat

cause i tried running unreal 2004 and it started making that noise

I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Does it do it with any other CPU intensive games?

Have you opened the case and put your ear up-close to the fans and HDD?

If you are still none the wiser, you can test your fans by applying a little pressure to the centre with your finger to slow it down and see if the noise persists. I do it to my fans to assess with one is making the most noise. I don't think it damages them since it's just magnets turning it.

The longer solution to see if it's your HDD would be to try defragging the HDD and start it up again.

And the most disruptive would be to reinstall the game. Don't know if that'd mess up any skins or saved games tho.

Does it do it with any other CPU intensive games?
    cause i tried running unreal 2004 and it started making that noise

Have you opened the case and put your ear up-close to the fans and HDD?

If you are still none the wiser, you can test your fans by applying a little pressure to the centre with your finger to slow it down and see if the noise persists. I do it to my fans to assess with one is making the most noise. I don't think it damages them since it's just magnets turning it.
    I think that is the problem, are your fans old? Because when my processor fan got real old, it started squealing when I boot up and after a few smacks and kicks to the case it shut up. (btw, if you wanna find out which fan makes most noise, you should probably get a fan controller thing probably healthier for the fan )

The longer solution to see if it's your HDD would be to try defragging the HDD and start it up again.
    Dunno how that'll help but hey worth a try

And the most disruptive would be to reinstall the game. Don't know if that'd mess up any skins or saved games tho
    hmm since UT2004 did the same thing I would suspect that wouldn't do much..
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Banned
    hey... tell me a little bit about EVE ... is it as boring as they say... what do you do in the game?

Blast From the Past
    its deffinitly the fan.. pulled it off and pulled a bunch of hair and dust out of the bearings *dang cats*

put some pressureised air through it and its silent once more

as for what i do in eve

i run 2 accounts

hexadecimal01 is a -9.7 pirate... i shoot anything that isnt in my corp or alliance... ransom for money... tired of being a goody goody in real life so i take out my evil side in the game

my other char
    euphonial warlock

runs a corp in safe space.. just afew of my friends from school.. advancing in the game and selling produced goods

i do like fast pace like UT2004.. but after about 2 hours my head is killing me
    this game is alittle bit slower... yet still fun... it doesnt take too much brain power to run either... ur not using WSAD keys flying your ship.. ur not aiming with a sniper scope.. you train some skills.. get to your optimal range and click a cannon... boom

you can mine mineral.. play the markets as a trader... run missions... be a pirate.. be a bounty hunter... whatever floats your boat

ingame music is kinda lame though... well i think it can be at times... so i listen to pink floyd or techno in the background.. been in the game for a year.... phusuntzu *spelled that wrong* got me hooked on it january 05

14 day trials avaliable... give it a whirl... beware.. it makes time pass like CRAZY

Coil hum can come from the mainboard or psu usually, mostly rears its head when heavy loads are present. Nothing to really get worried about, the paste that holds the coils gets loose over time and the resulting sound is the coil resonating.

Check the fans to make sure. Stop them with your finger if they are not spinning too fast and see if the noise goes away.

Finger, piece of paper, unplug, whatever way works best.

Sometimes the finger is not the best.

That is interesting that the transformer coil will vibrate. I have heard that caps can make noises too.