Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help getting rid of pop-ups

Need help getting rid of pop-ups

A co-worker recomended that I try to post my problem here to see if there might be anyone that could lend me a hand. For the past week I've been having a problem with an obscene amount of pop-ups on my home machine and they are to the point of driving me batty.

Some info:
    I'm using Windows XP Pro - fully updated
    I use IE, NS7.2, and Mozilla Firefox as my browsers.
    I have to use IE for work I do at home as this is the only browser that the web applications I'm testing perform in properly. For my personal use I prefer the other two. I also have to have pop-ups enabled in IE because of the web application I'm testing for work - it relies heavily on them (I didn't design it - I'm only QAing it).
    I've run AdAware and SpyBot both multiple times and each and everytime I run them they seem to find more to remove but the pop-ups don't ever go away.
    I thought that perhaps they came from spyware I might have gotten while downloading Sims2 files, however my attempt at a restore (which is what someone else had suggested I try to do) was before I'd even downloaded anything, the 5th of Feb, and the problems are still present.
    These are most definatly NOT Messenger pop-ups.
    The pop-ups are not restricted to IE. I get them both in IE and Netscape.
    As I'm having to do work on a borrowed laptop currently, my home PC is not connected to the internet - this has not stopped or even slowed the pop-ups.
    The pop-ups do not appear to be for any one specific site, but are each and every one of them an ad for something or another - including but not limited to car insurance.
    Running SpyBot and AdAware in Safe Mode seemed to remove the most problem files, but again did not clear the problem away completely.

Any assistance with this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Welcome to AntiOnline

If I'm not mistaken, Netscape has a popup blocker extension much like that of Firefox - if so, you can select which sites you don't want popups from, so that's 2 of 3 browsers fixed.

Spybot and AdAware might kill certain spyware programs that may or may not cause popups, but I seriously doubt they'll fix your popup problems completely. More than likely it's the sites you're visiting calling up popups and not spyware/adware on your machine.

Unfortunately I know of no such aids for MSIE since I haven't used it in many years now. I hope the little help I provided works for you, and that someone else has a fix for MSIE!
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

As I'm having to do work on a borrowed laptop currently, my home PC is not connected to the internet - this has not stopped or even slowed the pop-ups.
    Ok, you're getting pop-ups when you aren't on-line and don't have an open brower? Is that right?
    Have you installed any sottware lately?
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

Well, the problem is I visit some pretty run of the mill sites for the most part, but these are happening when I'm off line not visiting any sites. Right now my roadrunner connection is plugging to the laptop I'm sending this post from, while my PC sits on the desk behind me, more and more pop-ups showing up on the screen.

I mean, I do know of one sure fire way to get rid of them, but I'd really rather not resort to a drive format if I don't have to. I also have the NS pop-up blocker on with no accepted sites on my list (there aren't any sites I visit on NS that use pop-ups) at this time.

I also just checked (and closed out even MORE pop-ups) and some of these pop-ups link up to some site; amaena.com that starts mentioning the Black Worm virus (which my virus scan indicates is not on my system) and some happysomethingorother.com site. I'll check again when another pop-up shows up (I'm sure there will be more by morning).

And some of the ads don't show a broswer bar - they look like those new ads that some sites use that lay over the page you're visiting (man those are annoying) and are just kinda hanging out there on my screen.

Originally posted here by preacherman481
    Ok, you're getting pop-ups when you aren't on-line and don't have an open brower? Is that right?
    Have you installed any sottware lately?
    Exactly correct yes.
    The only software I've installed was The Sims 2 (and the Nightlife expansion), and a few objects I downloaded from the Maxis website and from SimSlice's website. Beyond that, the only other thing I installed was the program that lets me connect to my workplace's network from home.

You may want to try this.
    http://hijack-this.net/
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

I got Browser Hijack on my work pc also. It gets annoying real fast. http://hijack-this.net/ works good but im not ready to pay outta my own pocket for spyAlert for a computer that isn't mine.

Know any free removal's that can recognize it

And my lovely browser hijack is brought to me by the fine people of websponsers.

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Might want to look at MyIE2. IIRC it does do pop-up blocking amongst other things. And I believe it is free.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

and from SimSlice's website.
    Well there's your problem, the simslice site is pack filled with extra goodies
    grab some Highjack this. also AdAware and also Spybot Search And Destroy
    Update all definition files, including your antivirus software. reboot into safemode and scan with the above software, then copy and paste a copy of the log file from hijack this once you have done the scans..

f2b

Ive used spybot and adAware on mine and niether can pick it up.

I don't think spybot is designed for safemode.