Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Computer Cracker

The Hacker/Cracker debate goes on

Man this has been going on for years. There are so many slants on this its tiring to review it.

Most of the confusion comes from misleading media representatiosn as always.

I like to to use Hacker to encompass the lot then just make the diffference in individuals or groups with from an ethical standpoint

I dont think the term hacker means a bad thing or the term cracker. You can be hacker who has ethics or not, you can be a cracker who has ethics or not, you can be criminal or not simple as that.
    There are rules to obey and thats that, you can be a hacker, cracker, grey hat, black hat, white hat at the end of the day your either a criminal or not.

all the terms are good, all the people are good people apart from of course the bad ;-)
    Our destiny is to endure all hardships that we encounter along the path to what we perceive to be true and worthwhile !

The Head foundation
    Please give generously

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    all the terms are good, all the people are good people apart from of course the bad ;-)
    Yep... That was clear and lucid....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

The Recidivist
    Just a quick 2 cents. I have often heard the word applied to people outside of computers.

I feel the term could be applied to anybody who finds a way to make something operate outside of a meant fashion.
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

The media hasn't demonized the term since the kids who use it are complete idiots. Let me ask you something... whens the last time you've ever seen anyone smart call themself a hacker?

I'll say it agian just to be redundant... you've got people who like computers and just leave it at that. Then there are people who've decided to dub themselves "hackers" or whatnot. I could pretty much do whatever I want with a computer but so could billions of other people. This is why I consider myself an average user. The fact that these people need some word to seperate themselves from your average Joe just shows what they *really are* and its nothing to be proud of.

You guys should make this into a stickie next time the h-word is being tossed around just link 'em.

originally by dr.poop

The media hasn't demonized the term since the kids who use it are complete idiots. Let me ask you something... whens the last time you've ever seen anyone smart call themself a hacker?
    I would have to disagree... I read 2600 'The Hacker Quarterly' I would say that most of the people submitting articles call themselves hackers... and I would have to say that most of them are pretty intelligent.

originally by dr.poop:

I could pretty much do whatever I want with a computer but so could billions of other people.
    Most computer users I have met are not hackers... In my experience, a large percentage of people only know how to get online, use a search engine, check their mail, and can use MS Office. When it comes to fixing hardware/software/network problems, most are clueless beyond rebooting. Most don't know how to program, or locate security issues on a network. A hacker is generally considered to have a higher skill set than your 'average user'.
    \"Those of us that had been up all night were in no mood for coffee and donuts, we wanted strong drink.\"

-HST

The fact that someone would attempt to make themself look good by equivically degrading the mentally challenged sort of speak... would sort of prove my point and back my views, would it not?

Banned
    I would have to disagree... I read 2600 'The Hacker Quarterly' I would say that most of the people submitting articles call themselves hackers... and I would have to say that most of them are pretty intelligent.
    Most of the articles in 2600 are the standard mindless crap you see everywhere in teh computer world, translated into the 1337 vernacular. (Not saying I don't read it...) There are countless factual and theoretical errors. I have never seen a truly original peice come out of there.

And as far as I am concerned the hacker/cracker difference is merely intent. They are both meaningless titles.

. I could pretty much do whatever I want with a computer but so could billions of other people.
    Like Javascript injection on old vulns, huh ? wow....
    Sorry if I wont take advice from someone who runs around in a totally unethical way, trying to define words about ethics, and the stupid argument that has been going on since the beginning of time...

They are both meaningless titles.
    THAT I can agree with.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool - Good Ole Bill Shakespeare