Thread: ? How to test run a new computer ?

Question ? How to test run a new computer ?

I have been out of touch with the computer world for the past couple years, but I remember there were benchmarking/stability tools to burn-in a computer that you could let run for 24Hrs or whatever to push the computer to it's limits and test the system stability.

I just got my new laptop and I would like to test it's stability before too much time goes on.

Any responses are appreciated.

Thanks.

Again, what I am more concerned with is the stability testers. I can find benchmark tools... most of which you have to pay for.

... and for those that are curous:

Processor: AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 4400+ with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology
    Operating System (Office software not included): Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition with Service Pack 2
    Display: 17" WideXGA+ 1440 x 900 LCD Display
    Motherboard: VIA K8T890 + VT8237A Chipset
    Memory: 2GB Dual Channel DDR SO-DIMM at 400MHz - 2 x 1024MB
    Video Card: 256MB NVidia® GeForce™ Go 6800
    Hard Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 160GB (80GB x 2) 5400 RPM SATA
    Primary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 8X Dual Layer DVD+/-RW / 24X CD-RW Combo w/Software
    Secondary CD ROM/DVD ROM: 24x10x24 CD-RW / 8X DVD Combo w/Software MPEG2 Decoder
    Sound Card: High-Definition Audio with surround sound
    Primary Battery: 12-cell Lithium-Ion Smart Battery Pack
    Communications: Integrated 10/1000Mb Gigabit Ethernet & 56K V.92 Modem
    Wireless Network: Linksys Wireless-G Notebook Adapter with SRX - WPC54GX
    Floppy Drive: USB Floppy Drive
    Forever Alive,
    LEXavier

I remember a tool with a name like "Burn in test" which did as you described..

I used to use PCTools from Eurosoft this is not a cheap toy for home/personal use.. (The reason why I dont use it..change of employment.. the cost was outside my budget...donations gratefully accepted)
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr

Hi, not sure if these meet your requirements?

http://www.sisoftware.co.uk/

And this:

http://www.lavalys.com/

LEXavier old chap, might I respectfully suggest that you have been "out" for too long............err I don't think that people seriously concern themselves with the "stability" of a laptop these days.

Anyways, if this thing is unstable, what will your employers do about it? and if you are self employed, what will you do about it?.............

Please consider the logical implications before answering.

Hi Lex,

For system information/identification and diagnostics:

Belarc Advisor,
    Hardware & software information retrieval & stress tester
    Click HERE

CDCheck,
    Utility for the prevention, detection and recovery of damaged files on CD-ROMs...
    Click HERE

CPU-Z,
    Utility for the processor information retrieval...
    Click HERE

EVEREST Home Edition,
    Hardware & software information retrieval
    - NOTE: Free version discontinued
    Click HERE

SiSoft Sandra,
    Hardware & software information retrieval & stress tester
    Click HERE

MemTest,
    Memory testing utility
    Click HERE

Memtest86+,
    Memory testing utility
    Click HERE

Windows Memory Diagnostic,
    Microsoft memory testing utility
    Click HERE

PC Pitstop Disk Health
    Disk health test

Prime 95
    Processor stress testing utility

FutureMark
    Home of 3DMark03

Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder,
    Product/CD key locator for Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, Server 2003, Office 97, and Office XP.
    Click HERE

Retrieve your XP Product Key [CD Key],
    Product/CD key locator for WindowsXP.
    Click HERE

BTW, thats a nice lappy

Originally posted here by nihil
    LEXavier old chap, might I respectfully suggest that you have been "out" for too long............err I don't think that people seriously concern themselves with the "stability" of a laptop these days.

Anyways, if this thing is unstable, what will your employers do about it? and if you are self employed, what will you do about it?.............

Please consider the logical implications before answering.
    Wow... I wasn't aware that it was no longer something sort of recommended to do. This laptop is a desktop-replacement gaming/work computer.

I work for the DoD and they could care less about my gaming computer

If something IS wrong with it, I will send it back. It just arrived yesterday and I have 30 days before I can see whether the hardware is compatible with each other or if it is going to randomly give me the dreaded blue screen of death.

I personaly thought it was still a concern because of the fact that one of my coworkers just bought a system from cyberpowersystem.com (DON'T GO THERE) and he kept getting the blue screen of death every so often and the problem was surely not software he installed. Then when he would play some games it would just restart and it wasn't overheating.

I remember back in the day if you had hardware X and hardware Y installed, they may not be compatible and it would create system crashes... if this is no longer the case then wow, I'm behind the times.

I thank everyone for their input so far.
    Forever Alive,
    LEXavier

Hi LEXavier ,

I guess that we have gotten sloppy? I well remember "back then"

I build OEM stuff for people. If it comes back faulty then I have to fix it at my expense (OK I get the parts replaced but not my time).

I Use Everest and SiSoft SANDRA; then do a 72 hour soak test with SETI or Folding@Home.

I notice that the fall in price has been accompanied with a fall in quality. Much more stuff goes wrong, but I think that you are pretty safe given that it is a new brand name box?..............

Leave it running (but NOT connected to the internet) for a few days. Most stuff will crap out in 72 hours if it is going to.

As it is a laptop, prop it up off the table so that there is decent airflow ( and French Polishing is damned expensive )

A few tools have been suggested..........................