Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get out of the ftp root directory

how to get out of the ftp root directory

I know this sounds suspecious but its for a hacking challange.I got the user name and want to get out of var/ftp/pub(i'm guessing) to another sub directory in var.I have tried to repackage the software(application) that was given for the mission manipulated the text files that were created in the process of starting the application but whatever i try i can seem to get out of the root of ftp and download(mdir displays 2,which may signal that 2 files are in the var subdirectory).but when i try get FILENAME " | more" the telnet client hangs. Please advice.
    Is there any way i can download the two file(im guessing) in the var subdirectory without leaving the root of ftp.I am stuck in this challange for the past two days.
    you look up and a bird shits in the sky ,you fall on your knees and thank god that buffalos dont fly.

Just Another Geek
    Not sure but... More requires user input (space for the next page or a message asking you if it's OK to show the file because it may contain binary) which might explain why telnet seems to "hang" (it's waiting for user input but you cannot reach it so it waits indefinitely).. Try | cat..
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

I know this sounds suspecious but its for a hacking challange

This is clearly against the AUP.

AUP

To the op: Are you refering to one of the many online hacker challanges? If so which one?
    If not, are you refering to server you have permission to do this with? Though pen testing is a valid topic and not a violation of the aup, you will not find any assistance in preforming exploits here. If that is what your looking for you are very likely to recieve a very bad responce from the community.

look sorry but i paid for the membership and it might be against their user policy to mention their wargames server ip adress. If a moderator/admin pm's me about this action i will be more than wiling to share all the info from being banned .Because i am not a regular browser it migh take some time.
    you look up and a bird shits in the sky ,you fall on your knees and thank god that buffalos dont fly.

The Recidivist
    For Fsck's sake.....just answer his question and quit being so freaking paranoid!!
    "Where the tree of knowledge stands, there is always paradise": thus speak the oldest and the youngest serpents.
    - Friedrich Nietzsche

hjack, his question might not be easy to answer without the information concerning exactly what he's trying to do...dont take this the wrong way but its like me asking ok im setting up a station on a prexisting network, whats the correct subnet? The only thing is you have to answer the question directly, you cant ask me for any more info.

I don't actually know the answer to your question. My experience with linux is limited to setup and deployment, not necessarily the security. I'm just wondering why you would pay for this "challenge" and then try to take the easy way out.

If you're attempting to do the challenge why are you not just going to hack your way through it the way all the rest of us do when we hit a problem? If you're going to ask questions why can't you just ask members of that community where they obviously have the knowledge and the willingness to share it?

Honestly I'd like to know the answer to this as well, but I'm not going to ask memebers of this community something that, quite frankly, I think I could figure out with about 20 minutes of research on google.

my two cents,

The_Captain
    "Experience is the hardest teacher, it gives the test first and the lesson after." Anonymous

to op. Are you limited to using telnet, or can you use and actual ftp client or even ssh to access the server? Personaly I would try a ftp client for your descibing as to actually downloading the files.

Hi!

As spamdies suggested, try an FTP client or similar apps, I would suggest using Windows Commander/Total Commander (by Christian Ghisler - http://www.ghisler.com/).

Yo!
    \"Life without FREEDOM is no life at all\". - William Wallace
    MyhomE MyboX StealtH (loop n. see loop.)
    http://www.geocities.com/sebeneleben/SOTBMulti.gif