Thread: drm freight train

drm freight train

The system is particularly frightening because it looks so simple. There’s no 20-digit software key to type in, no dongle to attach to the printer port, no XP-style activation. (Is this what Bill Gates was thinking of when he said in his keynote that security needs to be easier to use?) The user interface is just a Thinkpad, albeit one of the new models with an integrated fingerprint sensor.

When someone tries to open a DRM-restricted document (in this case, a PDF file: break that DRM and go to jail), Lenovo software asks the user to swipe a finger across the sensor. My finger results in an access denied message; the Lenovo security guy’s finger opens the document.
    http://www.informationweek.com/blog/...usted_com.html

I feel like i'm stalled on the railroad track, about to be hit by
    the "trusted computing" freight train, but you don't need to
    worry. It will never be used against you. rcgreen is just
    paranoid.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

The thing about the matter that bothers my self, is the fact that there would be a digital copy of my fingerprint stored somewhere on the hard drive. I never want to here the phrase, "your finger prints were found"(they can be replicated) or " dna doesn't lie" (but its has been planted before). I know, i know..... go find a tinfoil hat, it will improve the radio waves..........

Banned
    My school has e-books for a bunch of courses, and they're all that Adobe DRM crap. Adobe calls them "Digital Editions", and they are cumbersome pieces of junk. They need to be authenticated, and, depending on the author, they even expire (can you imagine paying $80 for a "book" and it "expires"??)...

http://www.adobe.com/products/acroba...ook_FAQ_UE.pdf

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    A book that EXPIRES!!!!!

****... what happens when they start printing the Bible or the Koran under DRM... Will the religion expire? What about a scientific text? Will the science expire...

Neg... Go do another course... Because your qualifications might expire too...
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Im going to ITT and we get software that expires at the end of the course but luckily our books are still good ol' paperbacks

Also all the software is like VB6 too so its not like its hasn't already pretty much expired.

Banned
    I buy the hard copies

I get charged automatically for the e-books - which I don't use
    I take 3 to 4 courses every 8 weeks - that's a bunch of money every time...

At least my software doesn't expire, and we get it for free... and it's all the good MS stuff (complete .NET, XP Pro, Office Pro XP, Visio, Project,...) - that makes up for the e-books, I guess.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    I buy the hard copies
    Whoda guessed....
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides