Thread: beginning programming

beginning programming

Another dumb newbie question again...
    I have no prior experience with computer languages or writing programs, what would be a good first programming language to learn and why?

Hi,
    On the site front page in the upper right hand corner is a search function box where you can search old threads on the site. I did a search for "first programming language" and came up with 29 different threads. You will probably find some information there. Hope this helps.

Also, the Programming Section of the Tutorials Forum has a lot of programming tutorials. These might give you a taste.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

You might want to try this thread - it is very recent and might just answer your question.

Cheers,

-jk

Doesn't get much easier than Visual Basic, and it's a verbose language, so easier for the beginner, I think

Originally posted here by JPNYC
    Doesn't get much easier than Visual Basic, and it's a verbose language, so easier for the beginner, I think
    If you're going to go for Visual Basic (I haven't got any objection to it except the fact that it isn't cross-platform ), then you might as well go for Visual Basic.NET. It is the newest and possibly the easiest one, and is meant to be pretty good for prototyping software. It's not the fastest of languages, but is pretty easy..

However, I would like to suggest something other than VB.NET. Its code does not have a lot of structure to it, and so I do not suggest it for a newbie to programming - it will just invoke the learning of bad habits which will be difficult to erase when learning other languages. Remember, 'bad habits die hard'.

Maybe something like C or Python would be more to your liking. But, I really suggest looking at the thread I posted above - far better programmers than myself have posted their ideas there, so it'll be a good read

Cheers,

-jk

don't u guys think html should be the first one to start with......any say on that??
    PARENTAL ADVISORY-- learning too much!!! --PARENTAL ADVISORY

Because it would probably be better for xenoborg if he learned a "real" language.