Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Page Fault Preventing OS Install

It is a problem with your hard disc or your RAM.

Check the RAM

Most often, 0x..050 is associated with dud RAM. That includes main memory, video and CPU cache memory. If you have more than one stick of RAM, start ripping the sticks out one at a time. If you only have one stick, you will need to find someone who can help you out with a spare stick that fits your machine.

If that doesnt work:

Disable all BIOS caching and speed-up options.
    Disable power management.
    If you are overclocking, don't.

If Windows starts to install, then BSOD's you will still have files on your HDD, format, run a scandisc (surface) before trying to re-install anything to check your harddrive is ok.

The error codes are memory or HDD read errors not CD-ROM read errors so my money is on your RAM.

Hope it helps!

AOs Resident Troll
    From my past experience with install crashes and problem CDRs\harddrives.....you can receive various different BSOD errors...all pointing at different things.

Best is to start swapping out hardware...personally I would start with the CDR, then HDD then video, then memory

Is this older hardware....why the need for a reinstall in the first place...were you receiving errors...with a previous OS installed...if so...what type of errors????

MLF
    How people treat you is their karma- how you react is yours-Wayne Dyer

AFLAAACKKK!!
    *sigh*...

How many times have I preached going to support.microsoft.com for windows error codes???

Here's your answer:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/171003/en-us

Good job nokia .
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

That's odd, I would have expected that MS page to come up when I was googling the error message...

I've already totally swapped out RAM, and I tried another vido card, but to no avail.

I'm currently running an IBM HD diagnostic utility (box is a NetVista), and I'm about to run another hardware diagnostic utility.

I guess after that, I'll start looking at the cache...Anyone have any idea how to disable cache on these machines? I don't exactly have an owner's manual lying around...

AFLAAACKKK!!
    1. Disable all caching on your computer, including the CPU cache and L2 cache, in the computer's CMOS settings. For information about how to use your computer's CMOS configuration tool, please refer to your computer's documentation.

If you can successfully install Windows after disabling all caching, try re-enabling each cache, one at a time, to determine the area in which the faulty RAM is located. If you still receive the error message, continue to the next step.

2. Temporarily replace your video adapter. If you can install Windows after replacing the video adapter, the video adapter you replaced is faulty.

3. Temporarily replace the main memory installed in your computer. If the RAM in your computer consists of multiple SIMM modules, you may be able to swap SIMM modules to determine which has the faulty memory.

For example, if you have four modules of 8 megabytes (MB) each, remove two of the modules and try installing Windows again. If the Setup process still does not succeed, swap one of the SIMMs in the computer with one that you removed and try again. Continue this process to determine which of the SIMM modules contains the faulty memory.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Right, but that's what I was asking how to do -- As in I don't have the client's computer's documentation. However, I just looked all through BIOS, but I didn't see any settings whatsoever for cache enabling...or anything to configure CMOS.

What BIOS make/ version does it have!

Re: Page Fault Preventing OS Install

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    I can't get Windows to install. When I try to do a clean install, I get a blue screen with this message:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

and then:

STOP: 0x00000050 (0xC25E9001, 0x00000001, 0x809904F2, 0x00000000)

Tried rebooting and running the install again, but I wind up on the same darn blue screen.

Almost certainly a hardware fault (or a damaged CD). Try swapping RAM if you can (or remove half at a time if there's multiple sticks), or use Memtest86+ to check it. Other than that, remove any non-essential devices and see if it works.

********** |ceWriterguy
    Hi AK, ltns. Suggest looking over the mobo for leaky caps. Had the same issue on my old box.
    Even a broken watch is correct twice a day.

Which coder said that nobody could outcode Microsoft in their own OS? Write a bit and make a fortune!

When Exactly does it blue screen? That could be a valuable clue at this point? Is it after format? Reboot? During harware detection?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.