Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Ip and forums

no nothing like havoc or such. its just that some1 has been posting on a forum and they say its my ip soo i was wondering if its possible to somehow do that?

I agree with rapier. As the thread's been going along, your intentions seem to be getting worse and worse... first of all I thought you were just having trouble because you belonged to a forum which someone in the same network as yourself might also belong to, and the admin may have been curious. But, now it looks like you're trying to spoof your IP address to trick a certain site into believing you are someone else. As I'm not sure, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

its just that some1 has been posting on a forum and they say its my ip soo i was wondering if its possible to somehow do that?
    Are they saying it's your IP too? In that case, it's probably just someone else within the same network as you.

More knowledgable members than me have already posted telling you that it is no walk in the park, and the problems are pretty obvious - if I spoof my IP address to appear as yours (going outwards), then the replies sent by the server will be to that IP address and therefore I will not receive them. Wouldn't it be easier for them to 'gain' your IP address by having a backdoor in your computer?

Hmm, I give up.

Cheers,

-jk

well it might seem that way but its not that way.
    its just that some1 has been posting on a forum and they have identified the ip as mine from me posting along time before this.
    so i was just wondering if that was possible?
    i dont care about learning how to do it.. just wondering if its possible to do it.
    that might be tru. i just dont know. thats why i asked here

thx for all ur help tho

Yes it is quite possible, particularly if the people who run the forum have no idea.

It depends how your IP is allocated. Mine changes every time that I log in after a reasonable period logged off. That means that someone else gets allocated it.

It also depends how the site check. They may just look at the ISP block rather than a specific IP addy? Or at your original addy when you joined (that is very long odds though!..............going to the same site)

I cannot comment much further as you do not give sufficient details. If there has been an abuse situation, the site should send their logs to the ISP along with an abuse report. Your ISP should then be able to determine who was connected at that precise time?

Otherwise, if the site is accusing you, ask for a copy of their logs yourself. That should tell you if they do know what they are doing.

On the other hand, if your IP address is static, you would seem to have a security problem.

ahh k that was what i was thinking myself but i wanted to ask those that knew better than me and have it confirmed.
    i have static ip but sometimes it changes but that has just happend 2 times before during maintaince or just during work on the servers.

they were looking at my old posts from along time ago.
    hehe well its a guild forum and the post wasent the most lets just say in the nicest tone possible .

i appreciate ur and every1 else help
    time to scan computer.

If you use a password to access the forum, please change it, then log out and clear your cookies.

You might also ask your ISP to change your IP address.