Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advent 7084 Specifications

Advent 7084 Specifications

I have tried searching everywhere to find out what the specifications of my Advent 7084's monitor are (in particular the HSync and VRefresh rates) but I can't locate them anywhere. Advent does not have their own site (because they are part of the Dixons Group), and as Advents are just rebranded computers I'd go on its original manufacturer's site - IF I could find out who they where..

It's very irritating how such a simple piece of information isn't available on the web. I'm shocked that not even Dixons have a little aside on the technical specs of my laptop and other Advents.

So, if anyone can help me out, I'd really appreciate it. Whether you know the original manufacturer of this laptop, or you know where I can find it (not the manual - I don't have access to it atm), I'll take any info gratefully.

Thanks,

-jk

They are not normally specs that are posted with a laptop

The best I could find is:

Height 27
    Width 363
    Depth 281
    Colour SILVER
    Battery Type LI-ION
    Weight 3
    Processor Type PMP 740
    Processor speed 1730
    Battery life (up to) 2
    Operating system WIN MEDIA CENTER 2005
    Memory Type DDR333
    Hard Drive Capacity 60
    Memory Size 512
    Optical Drives DVD +/- RW
    CD-ROM Speed 48
    DVD-RW Speed 4
    DVD-ROM Speed 8
    Floppy Disk Drive NO
    Screen Size/Type 15 XGA TFT
    Graphics Card Type ATI M26C
    Graphics Memory 128mb dedicated
    TV-out YES
    Sound Type AC97 V. 2.2
    Modem Type 56Kb
    Other Interfaces 10/100 Interface
    Software Titles Included WORKS 8.0
    CD-RW Speed. 24
    Wireless Enabled YES
    Infrared Port Included YES
    No. of USB Connections 4
    No. of Firewire Connections 1

To get your refresh rate, right click on your desktop > Properties > Settings > Advanced > monitor.

This will tell you your refresh rate but I dont think that is what your after? It could be the best you can do tho!

// Lol, did find this though!
    http://www.verdicts.co.uk/reviews/67935/67935.html
    look at "the Verdict".

Height 27
    Width 363
    . . . .
    No. of Firewire Connections 1
    Yeah, I found that - no luck there

About the refresh rate - that may be it, although I'm pretty sure it isn't. (I don't know what VertRefresh is to tell you the truth ) I'll try to find out

The verdict - God, I'm in for luck then Although Vector Linux 5.1 _did_ install and work perfectly, so there's no reason why Mandriva 2006 shouldn't..

A Ha! We need to goto the registry my good sir!

HKEY_CURRENT_CONFIG\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\VIDEO\{XXXXXXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXXXXXXXXXX}\0000\MonXXXXXXXX\DefaultSettings.VRefresh

Look at the number in brackets after VRefresh and that will give you your vrefresh rate!

Thanks Nokia! My VRefresh then _is_ 60 - what we found out before in the graphics settings.. oh well, at least we've confirmed it.

Any ideas for the HSync?

Thanks,

-jk

HSYNC

Short for Horizontal Synchronization, HSYNC is a signal given to the monitor telling it to stop drawing the current horizontal line, and start drawing the next line. The amount of time this takes to occur is measured in Hertz (Hz), which means cycles per second.

VSYNC

Short for Vertical Synchronization, VSYNC is a signal used to describe the process or set a value telling the monitor when to draw the next vertical line. The time it takes for this to occur is measured in Hertz (Hz).

Thats what they mean - tried searching the registry for Hsync/Hrefresh but to no avail!

Google, my good man, google!

It's very irritating how such a simple piece of information isn't available on the web. I'm shocked that not even Dixons have a little aside on the technical specs of my laptop and other Advents.
    I worked for them for a number of years.............wouldn't buy anything even on staff discount These are the people who used to hype Packard Bell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have an ADVENT.................errr............. save up for a proper computer, and don't go to PC World........................

Your vertical refresh rate is 60?...............what is it when you look in control panel?

60 is the bare minimum on most systems, perhaps you should be looking at video card/chipset settings, rather than the monitor? that is, look at "adapter" rather than "monitor"

Remember that the number of colours and the screen resolution will affect what can be resolved.

If you are having problems just set the resolution to 600x800 and 16 bit. That will support at least 85 refresh rate.

Just Another Geek
    60Hz is pretty standard on LCDs I believe.. I own a Dell 2001FP and it can only do 60Hz (on all resolutions)..

I'm assuming you need the HorizSync and VertRefresh for X? Doesn't DDC (EDID) work?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Nokia - Thanks

Nihil - Hi. I am already regretting buying an Advent - but we learn from our mistakes. I looked in CP for the display adapter, but all that gave me was the model of my graphics card (which I already knew) - and the driver info wasn't too helpful either.

SirDice - Yep, 60 or 70Hz is usually the norm AFAIK. You are right in saying that I'm trying to configure X - Mandriva seems to have a problem using VESA at 1280x800 and refresh rate 60Hz. I also tried an 'xorgconfig' to setup xorg.conf, but in the end I made it even worse I also tried reinstalling Mandriva and asking it to use the Radeon driver, but that didn't work either. The funny thing is that I tested the X server using the VESA driver during the installation and it worked perfectly - but then after the reboot everything went haywire. The X server does start, and works for a few seconds while it is loading (you can see the 'working' cursor and the desktop background) and going to the KDM, but before it reaches that stage it starts flashing black with a white Mandriva logo and this goes on a loop.
    I would reinstall Vector 5.1 and grab that one's xorg.conf file for use in Mandriva, but it'd be better to find an alternative solution. Would putting in a live CD, taking its xorg.conf and replacing the one on the Mandriva partition with it work?

Thanks a lot,

-jk

[edit] I've looked into EDID, and I think this software might tell me what I'm looking for? I may be able to download it tomorrow..

Hmmm.....................

Yes, I did not spot that it was a laptop............

My Chuntex does 85, but that is a desktop device.

So, we buy laptop from PC World and expect a Linux distro to work on it?.................

What I cannot get my mind around is that you are having problems with the lower end settings? that is weird.

That seems to be more driver orientated than refresh rate?.......what actually happens?