Thread: Raid Support in Linux

Raid Support in Linux

I've been trying to find a version of linux to use on my home machine but have been having problems due to my raid configuration. I have two SATA drives stripped together and when I try to install FC4 I get a kernel panic in the first two seconds after hitting enter. I have tried noprobe and other install options but to no avail. I don't have a floppy drive so I can't do driver disk option either.

I tried getting FC5 (test release) and it would make it further than the FC4 disk, but would still bomb out after selecting my language. Are there any distros with good native support for raid?

Any help here would be appreciated.
    The only limit a person has, is the limit they give themselves.
    Cogito ergo sum. - Descartes

I'd be intrested to find out how to solve this i had the same problem and gave up on FC4
    got myself Mandriva and that ran without a single problem. My FC4 cd would refuse to
    even boot with SATA drives.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

I also heard you could do something like this but not sure if it will work:

"When I booted up my computer from the DVD.. I typed mediacheck, it would give me an error,
    I then typed linux mediacheck and everything worked find... I'm using FC4 now...

If I just typed linux mediacheck first I would get the same error 'kernel panic' ..

For some strange reason it only works if I type mediacheck first then linux media check...

I have installed FC4 twice this way... Hope others find this helpfull..."

Anyway let me know if you try this.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "If I'd asked my customers what they wanted, they'd have said a faster horse." ~ Henry Ford

I have been having issues with SuSE and raid as well. It's like pulling teeth to get Linux to boot from a RAID.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

I downloaded the SUSE 10 iso last night and am currently burning it. I think I'll give SUSE a try before loading FC4. I will see if that trick works though. If it works for me, I'll see it it works with FC3 ( same problem >< )

What problems with SUSE are you having RC?

Is it a problem with the RAID hardware or is it something different..

I have been using RAID On multiple linux distro's and configurations..

As long as it's good (read compatible) hardware it should work on any distro (with a bit of tweaking)..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I personally use an onboard SATA raid controller from intel. d865prl is my board; if I remember correctly.

Update on my progress, I downloaded the SUSE 10 LIVE iso instead of the install Time to redownload.